We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do during Sinulog weekend

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Things to do during Sinulog weekend

Hello everyone! Just wanted to ask suggestions on other fun things one can do from January 18-19 (Sinulog weekend). Will be watching the parade with friends but thought there might be other activities worth trying/doing.. Thanks!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

Here is the official Sinulog Website. It shows the parade route and all Sinulog activities.

http://sinulog.com/

It says updating at the moment. When it is not updating, you can check and see if there is anything of interest.

I copied the 2014 route before it went off line. The main part of the parade route this years is up V. Rama, along Rodriguiz,, past Fuente Osmena and down Osmena Boulevarde.

In the past there has been different activities at Fuente Osmena such as face painting..

Saturday for me in the past has just been a normal Saturday.

Sunday is about paying homage to a 1 metre tall doll of the baby Jesus. The Sto Nino. Usually housed at the Sto Nino Basilica.

This is my experience on parade day. No or very few taxis, even late night and all the roads blocked off in the centre of the city until after the parade.

So, what ever you are thinking of doing on the Sunday, it will need to be close to where you are staying or have a plan on being out of the centre of the city with your own transport.

By the way, it is televised live and you will see more on TV.

Pit Senor!

Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
21 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

i think the main event on satuday would be the fluvial parade. I remember my sinulog experience last year. I took the earliest flight from manila to cebu. then when i rode a taxi going to sto nino curch, we passed by the bridge connecting mactan island and cebu main and the driver told me that the fluvial parade will be done on that day. true enough, I saw boats when we passed by that bridge. if you dont want to watch that, you may visit the sto nino church and they have a mini parade(no floats and people in costume yet). you must also check magellan's cross because during sinulog, the spot where the cross is located is full of candles.

as for sunday, that will be the day of the grand parade. there will be a mass at sto nino church at 4am, so expect to see lots of people already. then i walked from sto nino church to osmena circle and waited for the parade to start. the parade lasted until the sunset. Street parties will pop up everywhere right after the parade.

Pit Senyor!!! Hope you enjoy the sinulog festival!!!

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
574 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

saturday is more solemn. Sunday is more festive. You can go up Crown Regency and do the skywalk and stare down at the parade from the 37th where the skywalk is, 38th where the edge coaster is, or the 39th floor viewing deck.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

Sinulog is more commercialized now than before. The Cebu City government promotes it as some kind of Mardi Gras now, and parties happen in the city center.

For the more solemn activities, you can visit this site: basilicasantonino.org.ph/pages/sinulog.html#P

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

@Big_Jim_Leyte: Thanks for sharing your previous Sinulog experience. I've yet to check out the link you gave, but really appreciate that bit of info on parade routes.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

@musickaren: Adding the fluvial parade to our list. Thanks a lot!

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

@al22tecc: What a great suggestion! Will try and see if we can still get reservations for Sunday. Thanks!

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
574 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

from the view at the top, you will notice the lights surrounding the rotonda or fuente circle is shaped like a big parol or christmas lantern. you wont notice it at ground level.

9. Re: Things to do during Sinulog weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:18