We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving advice needed

Which Lapu Lapu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Topic
Diving advice needed

Hi, im going to be staying at the Hilton resort in Cebu for three days with my girlfriend. I love snorkeling and ive been wanting to get a PADI certificate for a long time. But i will be there only for 3 days.

What is the best way and best place to go diving in my case?

Should i just take an "Discover scuba" cours? would i be able to go on other dive trips with just the discover certificate?

and also, where is the best place to go diving? should i just take a diving package and dive near shore? or is it better to go island hopping.

at the end of the day, i would love to see big corals, see lots of different species of sea creatures/ and hopefully do 4-5 dives in 2 days.

8 replies to this topic
Butte
Level Contributor
258 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving advice needed

I dont know if your hotel can organise diving for you. Shangrila hotel has a dedicated dive operation. kontikidivers.com, at club kontiki on Mactan can do padi certification. For open water certification you will do 4 dives , the course taking 3 days. If you intend to dive in the future, then take the open water cert., otherwise, the introduction to scuba may satisfy your curiosity. If you want a great diving experience, while doing your certification, I would recommend Moalboal, 2 hours from Cebu

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving advice needed

Thanks for the advice.

Will the dive clubs let me dive on regular dive trips with only an "introduction to diving" certificate?

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving advice needed

No, i don't think you can go dive on regular dive trips with just an Introductory dive course. It is for your own safety that you take the full course if you want to be a scuba diver. Also, depending on the depth of your dives, usually you can not fly until 24 hours after your last dive. Good luck!

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving advice needed

well I second demotion on shangri-la's capacity to organize diving tours. they have great spots on that and have a good taste of a package for diving and a tour. there staff's are awesome.

colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving advice needed

this may be too late for you, but we just returned from 3 weeks in philippines and dove with kon tiki out on mactan island and loved them! i would call them and see what they recommend. the house reef there is lovely for snorkeling and they can do any certifications you might need too.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving advice needed

This may advise may be late. I hope your trip went well, and you were able to get a dive in. PADI - Discover dive is just that: an intro dive for people who are interested in experiencing what it is like to breath underwater. In order to truly appreciate a majority of the dive sites around the world, you should at least have an Open water certification or euivalent from a reputable agency. That being said. Mactan Island, Cebu is a perfect place to do that. I dove with Kontiki Divers, and as far as leading dives for certified divers, they do a 5-star job. ( 5-star is a PADI rate for its affiliated dive centers). The ease of doing a shore dive from Kontiki, makes it a ideal place for intro dives and instruction. You should inquire with a dive operator in the area and see if 3 days is enough time to get certified. In my experience, it can be done, BUT- on a case by case basis. ( alot of factors come into play when diving, you will learn soon enough. )

Be safe, and be blessed.

asia, philippines
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving advice needed

I have dived with a lot of places on Mactan Island: Maribago Blue Water, Hilton Hotel, Contiki, and Shangri La. I have also brought many friends to take discovery dives and get certified. For Discovery dives - I love Maribago as they are professional and you can quickly get in the water. For certification, I liked Contiki, they have very good instructors and you can have a small class. However if you are going to spend some time in the Philippines and want to do things right, go to either Sea Explorers in Bohol (Alona Beach) or to Evolution Diving in Malapascua. . . The guys running those shops are the absolute BEST. Safety is first and the great experience of diving a very close second.

Broomfield, CO
Level Contributor
17 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving advice needed

Hope this isn't too late! You do need a full scuba open water certificate to dive anywhere. The Discover Scuba is just a precursor for those who are not sure they want to invest the time and money in a full scuba certification. The PADI scuba certification is broken into two parts - classroom work and work you do in the real open-water setting. What a lot of people I know have done is to take the Scuba classroom and pool work back at home (usually takes 1 weekend) and just do the open water part (4 dives = 1.5 to 2 days) at their destination so they can get diving sooner. If you have the time that may save you from sitting in a classroom on vacation. Hope this helps! As for dive shops in Lapu Lapu, I can't help with that as we are going there for the first time in September. Have fun!

Reply to: Diving advice needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted