We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bacolod Trip

Cebu
Level Contributor
674 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bacolod Trip

Hi. How many days is enough to visit Bacolod & nearby attractions like Silay & Mambucal? Any suggestions on things to do? We will be renting a car. Is it advisable to visit Guimaras & Iloilo as well if we will be there for 4 days? Am also interested in Sipalay & Lakawon beaches but is discouraged by the distance. Pls. help. Thanks.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bacolod Trip

Hello There WildFlower25!

I would say, 2 Days would be enough for Bacolod/Silay and Mambucal. It would be best for you to experience the latter for a day.

If it is your first-time to visit Bacolod, below are the things to do and see:

a. Visit the Negros Museum and the Negros Showroom

b. Check out the Capitol Lagoon

c. Have Lunch at Chicken Haus or Bob's along BS Aquino Drive

d. Drive all the way to Silay and check out the Balay Negrense

e. Have a little snack at El Ideal (guapple pie or some of their "old school" pastries.

f. Drive back to Talisay to see The Ruins. Enjoy the sunset, of course.

g. Drive back to Bacolod and have dinner at Pendy's or any local native restaurants (Aboy's, 18th St. Pala-Pala, Resto sa Baybay)

h. Enjoy the desserts at Felicia's or Calea's

i. Wrap up the night in one of the clubs of the city (Goldenfield, sorrento or terra dulce)

The next day, you should be off for Mambucal:

a. Enjoy nature while trekking all the way to the 7th Waterfall (the resort has 7 waterfalls by the way)

b. Take a dip in the Sulfur People to relax your tired body.

c. Enjoy outdoor activities

d. Maybe take a little side-trip to Don Salvador Benedicto. It is considered as the Baguio of Negros.

Those are some of the things that you would be able to do to experience Negros Occidental.

Sipalay is just too far. It takes you about 4-5 Hours to reach it from Bacolod. Lakawon is pretty good maybe 15 years ago.

For you to enjoy Iloilo or Guimaras, you need at least 3 Days, in my opinion.

Hope the above info helps.

Enjoy!!!

Cebu
Level Contributor
674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bacolod Trip

Thank you so much for your reply. That's a lot of info. Am skipping Iloilo/Guimaras & considering Victorias, Bago, Valladolid & La Carlota. I have follow-up questions:

1. Is Patag Valley difficult for elderly & should we allocate whole day there?

2. Does Victorias Milling & Angry Christ need appointment?

3. How about Campuestohan in Talisay? What is the duration?

4. Is Salas Park the same with Don Salvador Benedicto? I read it's better to go there during evening but am afraid it might not be safe at night.

5. How about Guintubdan Nature Camp/Falls & Muscovado Sugar Mills Ruin in La Carlota? How long should we allocate for this trip?

6. Where is Panaad Sports Complex & Negros Forest Ecological Foundation located in Bacolod?

I've arranged my trip as ff: Day 1- Silay/Victorias/Talisay; Day 2- Mambucal/Don Salvador Benedicto; Day 3- Bago/Valladolid/La Carlota; Day 4- Bacolod.

For Bago, am thinking Gen Araneta Ancestral House & Historic Bridge River Bago. Valladolid Church is also in my list.

I'll be there for 4 full days. Hope you can help with the itinerary. Thanks.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bacolod Trip

Hello There Again!

1. Patag in Silay should be alright as long as you have a vehicle with you. (1 Day)

2. As far as I could remember, you need an appointment to enter VMC's compound. (Half Day)

3. For Campuestohan, it would definitely require you maybe half of your day. 30 Minutes away from Talisay City proper.

4 - 5. Rafael Salas Park is a.k.a Guintubdan Nature Camp/Falls if my memory serves me right. (One day) Maybe an hour to an hour-and-a-half from Bacolod.

6. Panaad is located 25 minutes away from downtown Bacolod City.

Well, your planned itinerary is pretty good. You should also see the church in Pontevedra. The town next to Valladolid. It's quite nice.

In Talisay, try to check the oldest ancestral home there, Balay ni Tana Dicang.

Hope the info helps.

Best,

jaybz

Cebu
Level Contributor
674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bacolod Trip

Hi Jaybz,

Thanks. I have some questions:

1. How can I set appointment with Victoria Milling Co.? Any contact no.?

2. Is Campuestohan difficult for the elderly?

3. I read that Salas Park is near Mambucal & saw Don Salvador Benedicto near Mambucal in the map, I wonder if both are the same? Salas is said to be 'Little Baguio' of Negros.

4. Is Guintubdan also not difficult for elders?

5. What can you say about Muscovado Sugar Mills Ruin in La Carlota?

I have a long list already which is too much for 4 days. What places mentioned should I prioritize? Thanks again.

Cebu
Level Contributor
674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bacolod Trip

Hi. By the way, where is Sorrento & Terra Dulce located? Thanks.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bacolod Trip

Hello There Again Wildflower!

1. Here is the telephone number of VMC. The last time I contacted them, I spoke with someone from the Admin Office (+63.34.399-3378)

2. I am not really sure about the situation up-there in Campuestohan but my brother-in-law was telling me if you love nature it is the place to be. Last time I heard, they had a hanging bridge there but not sure if its still there. I know some elderly who had a chance to go there and they say it was a decent place. Well, they came back in one piece so I am assuming it should be fine.

3 - 4. My bad on Guintubdan and Salas Park. Those 2 places are different but near each other. Guintubdan is one of the villages of La Carlota City and has a waterfall that you need to walk for you to reach it. Salas Park (boundary of Bago and La Carlota Cities) is more of a, well, a forest park with some excellent view of the city. My friend from the area said that it's accessible for the elderly. You would notice in google maps that Don Salvador is somewhat beside Mambucal but actually before you reach the latter from Bacolod, the road splits into two, if you go right you go to Mambucal, if you go left, it will lead you to Don Salvador all the way to San Carlos City. All these places are situated around Mt. Kanlaon.

5. Muscovado Sugar Mill Ruins. Again, according to my friend, nothing really to write about. It's still not well developed to become a tourist attraction. Maybe if you love vintage machinery, it's the place for you.

6. Piazza Sorrento is located in 13th Lacson Street and Terra Dulce in the Shopping Center Area (Chinatown of Bacolod) near Queen of Peace Church.

To sum it up, all these places are great if you love the "cool weather" and wanted to commune with nature. But I would say that you go for Mambucal and Don Salvador, then the next day try Guintubdan / Salas Park and down to the Muscovado Ruins. VMC is also nice if you would be able to obtain a clearance. Patag is also good, about an hour or two drive from Silay City proper.

Hope this helps

Cebu
Level Contributor
674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bacolod Trip

Thanks for your reply. Helps a lot. Hope to return the favor someday.

Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bacolod Trip

Hello, wildflower25. May I ask if your trip was ok, given the itinerary you have set up? Was the time you have allotted sufficient? Were there places/activities which you would have added/removed? Also, was it easy to rent a car? Thank you very much in advance for any information you may be able to share.

9. Re: Bacolod Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 07:25