We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

£1000 enough for 2 week vacation

Dundee, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
£1000 enough for 2 week vacation

hi im just throwing caution th the wind but when i go on vacation i always bring more money than i need to but will £1000 gbp be enough amount for a 2 week vacation in philippines i dont need a hotel etc as that is taking care of and im not flash i plan on living like the locals etc but i maybe being over cautious ? also im staying with my fiancee family and i was going to offer to pay for my board but she said that is not nessary as i am a guest so what other ways can i so my grtaitude to them in the ways of gifts ? without causing offence or embaressment etc ?

O Hotel
O Hotel
#1 of 30 hotels in Bacolod
L'Fisher Hotel
L'Fisher Hotel
#2 of 30 hotels in Bacolod
Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites
Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites
#3 of 30 hotels in Bacolod
Malolos City...
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

That will be roughly around 60,00php... And I can say that is more than enough for 2 weeks stay in the Philippines.

It would be a nice gesture to bring some gifts to the family of your fiancee. I suggest nothing too fancy but things that they may find useful.

And also treat them to a nice dinner one night. That would be nice. :)

Mentioned in this post
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

You will have plenty of money.

It is better to take a present from UK to give them. It is called pasalubong. They will love chocolate from UK. Put it in your luggage wrapped in towels to keep it cool and put it straight in the fridge when you arrive.

When you are here, you can discuss anything else you ant to get for the family with your fiancée

You may also take them all out for a meal - Max's is always a favourite.

You can always buy special food for them while you are here or even make them fish and chips if you know how to cook.

Don't buy imported booze - it is overpriced and local booze is often better.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 02:14
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

As for gifts, buy anything that is not "Made in Philippines".

I think Filipinos love chocolates. Buy those fun size package with many flavours inside.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
2,171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

Cadbury is one chocolate brand that resonates with Filipinos. Bring it in an insulated bag with a small frozen icepack and pop it in your checkin luggage to avoid confiscation of the ice pack by zealous airport security staff.

Unfortunately your Cadbury made in the UK won't have its 'glass and a half' of full cream New Zealand or Australian milk (the two most efficient - and unsubsidised) worldwide dairying regions - presumably it will contain European Union produced milk which at least you can say that you paid through the nose for with your taxes off to Brussels!

Edited: 10 May 2013, 10:25
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

As everyone suggested, chocolates are always a hit. Preferably chocolates that are not easily found in the Philippines. Marks and Spencer chocos and biscuits would be great.

Your budget is good enough and the suggestion of treating the family for a nice dinner is nice. There are many restaurants in Bacolod to choose from but you will score points if you take them to Manokan Country (Chicken country) and eat with your hands. Believe me, the family will be impressed with the effort! Otherwise, there is Bob's Restaurant which is an institution in this parts or for Filipino food, Aboy's is a gem.

Mentioned in this post
Bacolod
Bacolod
Negros Island, Philippines
Bob's Restaurant
Bob's Restaurant
71 Reviews
Aboy's Restaurant
Aboy's Restaurant
239 Reviews
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

so what other ways can i so my gratitude to them in the ways of gifts ? without causing offence or embarrassment etc ?

----------------------------------

I agree that offering money for your stay is insulting. However, you can offer money to cover the electricity but be very specific that the money you are giving is for electricity. I am sure you will be using it at a rate several times more than they do. My suggestion is P2000 for your 2 weeks if using aircon and P1000 for your 2 weeks if cooling is by fan.

You can certainly buy the food that you would like to eat in the house but make sure you buy enough for every one to share. For instance you might pop down to the wet market and buy several roast chickens.

You should provide presents for every one in the house hold. Even the house maids, if they have them. They do not have to be expensive. Just so long as every one gets one. The best presents will be for her parents.

If you are buying chocolates, make sure to keep them insulated. You can buy chocolates in the Philippines too. All major brands are available in the big cities such as Cebu and Manila. In Cebu City, you can buy Cadburys by the kilogramme block. Plus plenty of Toblerone and American favourites. By the way, there is a Marks and Spencers in Ayala mall in Cebu City. I have never been inside so I don't know if they sell any of their chocos or biscuits.

Showing up with Filipina chocolates will still make you popular. I like Cloud 9. They are similar to a Mars Bar.

Another thing that will make you popular is if you show up with a dozen iced doughnuts.

Other presents you can bring from home is anything with logos from Scotland such as T shirts or souvenirs. You can also bring perfume, cigarettes and alcohol.

My suggestion is you take the whole family out to eat at least once. That will be every one living in the same house as you plus some favourite aunts, uncles, cousins and grand parents.

You will probably make yourself popular with your father in law if you keep him suppled with plenty of Tanduay 5 years during your stay. Not just for him to drink but and his mates and sometimes you too.

In two weeks with accomodation paid, and no travelling, I would budget P500 per day for extras.

Edited: 11 May 2013, 03:54
Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Cebu City
Cebu City
Cebu Island, Philippines
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

Just though of something else you could buy while there. A 60 kilogramme sack of rice.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

Marks and Spencer chocos and biscuits are available in the Ayala store and in Rustans supermarket. IF you are from Cebu. However, the OP is going to Bacolod where nobody sells them. Bacolod is a different ballgame than the rest of the Philippines so best to get things that are not as readily available. And believe me, they know about "brands" here. These things should not be expensive at all. More like a token.

Bacolod is not Tanduay country but beer country as a rule. Besides, I would be careful about that tho because not everybody appreciates Tanduay here the way they do on the other side. It depends on the family of your future bride.

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Bacolod
Bacolod
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

Also, I would be careful of offering money or rice. It depends as I said, on the family.

If they are a bit well-off that would be insulting to say the least. Same with the rice. Best to buy fruits and cakes and drinks. Things that are extra, sort of.

If they are not, then you can tell what they need. Just wing it, you will get the feel for it.

Malolos City...
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: £1000 enough for 2 week vacation

Would like to add. . .

You can also take the family out to a nice vacation.

Simple getaway so you can enjoy your stay as well.

Take them to the beach or to a resort for 1 night so they can also relax.

Get answers to your questions about Bacolod