We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masskara Festival October 2014

Which Bacolod hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Masskara Festival October 2014

I am planning on going to Bacolod for the subject festival; and would really appreciate all info that anyone can share concerning this years upcoming event.

Such as:

Dates of each event

Times

Parade routes

The dance contest location

Recommendations

Maps if possible

Lodging suggestions

Again, I appreciate your time and assistance. Thank You all in advance, Guido.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,673 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

Thanks to esteemed TA member YouLiveOnlyOnce, here is a very good guide:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298464-i9655-k…

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

Thank you, however this does not answer my questions in regards to Masskara 2014

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

@ Guido

1) Dates - The grand parade - which is what the photos are all about - is held twice - on Sunday afternoon in the 3rd week of October and on Saturday afternoon, - viz. the weekend closest to October 19th

For exact dates and schedules - do monitor https:/…BacolodMassKaraFestival and teh official website - http://www.bacolodmasskarafestival.com/

It will get updated in September

for 2014 - it will be on 18 (Sat) and 19 (Sun) afternoon.

On 20th, there will be programmes in the Public Plaza

2) Times - If you stand at the corner of San Sebastian street / Araneta avenue, the parade will reach there around 2:30 pm. Reach at 2 pm and you will find a good spot to view it. This is also where the judges sit, hence each dance group stops here and does their routine. It is just moderately crowded here.

3) Parade routes

The parade starts in the south (usually at the school) and ends at the Public Plaza. It goes along Araneta avenue (which is closed to all traffic from noon - right upto late night)

4) The dance contest location

This occurs at the Public plaza, in the evening, after the parade.

Be warned - there is hardly any seating space.

5) Recommendations

a - Carry a plastic / folding chair ... for the hour logn wait for the parade to arrive, plus while it is there (nope - almost no one in the crowds dances with the groups - and none of the onlookers is encouraged to either)

b - carry your umbrella (it rained when we were there) and water (lest you lose your spot).

6) Maps if possible.... send me your email address in a PM and I will send you one

7) Lodging suggestions

I stayed at Sylvia manor which was jsut fine - we would jsut walk 5 mintues to see the parade. To return, we just took a taxi / pedicab which never cost us more than 50-80 pesos. You can easily walk from Sylvia manor to the public plaza.

You can also stay near Lacson street, but that is more distant to the parade. Plus it gets very noisy at night.

Do let me know if you have any other queries.

Masskara is fantastic - and very untouristy - there are very few foreigners, and the mood durign the afternoon parade is upbeat.

Lacson street night festivities is over hyped ... nothing so special there - just lots of crowds and people watching snakes / shouting on the stage... as fro street dancing - that too is over hyped ... at night, the only people dancing were drunks and kids. The few youngsters who were dancing on the streets appeared to have been forced to do so!

The night light parade occurs just next to the public plaza (near the street market) - and gets over within half an hour.

The giant puppet parade occurs in Lacson street and is interesting.

All of them happen during the dates mentioned above.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

Hey thank you very much, this is what I was looking for. My e-mail is zarduccis@yahoo.com

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

@ Guido,

You are welcome. But pray - do remove your email address from this post, lest you want loads of spam to land into your email box.

(Hence my suggestion regarding a PM...)

PS - On 2nd thoughts, for the benefit of other tourists, it might be better if you post your questions on this same thread. I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

Okay, but could you please forward a map as you said. That is why I posted my e-mail.

I not really sure how to delete my e-mail address... I tried but can't do it :>{

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

@ Guido

Just click on the blue letters below / right side of your post (report inappropriate comment) - this allows you to delete it.

Don't worry - I'll send you the map

Edited: 28 April 2014, 04:36
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

Thank you in advance for the map. I have looked for the blue letters and it appears that they are not there or anywhere in or on the post. So I will keep trying till I figure this thing out; as I am quite new at it. Thanks again my friend, Guido.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

@ Guido -

Look for " report inappropriate content"

I have uploaded the maps on the TA article on masskara festival here - will post some better ones subsequently - keep looking out for them.

tripadvisor.com.ph/Travel-g298464-c208022/Ba…

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Masskara Festival October 2014

Added - map of Night puppet parade and Lacson street festivities

tripadvisor.com.ph/Travel-g298464-c208022/Ba…