We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
947 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

I'm working on the details of arranging my own flights into Moscow (DME) and out of St. Petersburg. In July 2012 I'll be going on the 11 day Russian River Cruise put on by Collette Vacations.

I'm having difficulty getting specific information from Collette regarding the recommended time to arrive at Moscow's DME, and what time I should plan to fly out of St. Petersburg's LED.

I would have thought that a cruise's schedule would have been worked out and known well in advance, especially as this a cruise that sails six times during the summer, starting in May (four months from now).

I would so much appreciate guidance about booking flights from someone who has done this cruise in the past, or is doing it in 2012, and has information about what time of day to arrive at DME and what time to fly out of LED.

Thanks!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

Have no idea about Collette but just curious: why fly into DME when SVO is about four times closer to the Northern River Port?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
947 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

DME because that's where Collette has chosen to pick up their passengers who also book their flights through Collette.

I've done some research on arranging one's own transportation from DME/SVO to the port, and I do have a lot of trepidation about doing that. (I'll be a timid woman traveling alone and don't read or speak any Russian. For $100 Collette will take me from DME to port, and from port to LED.)

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

Is this a cruise co or a middeman? Sounds like the latter and not a competent one. It makes no sense to drive around the world from DME to the boat terminal

Edited: 28 January 2012, 19:47
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
947 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

I haven't looked on a map re: distances, but for $50 each way, it's worth the mindless comfort of taking the tour company's transportation.

I also spoke to a travel agent from AAA who was able to give me the information I sought; the same information I was not able to get from directly Collette, which puzzles and frustrates me.

Michigan
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

My sister and I are visiting Russia in September and the airline gods decide where you fly into. We aren't crazy! We are looking for the cheapist air. A few bucks difference in a transfer won't matter. Do understand travel time into the city will be much longer. But then, hey! Might get to see more..."travel is not only what you get out of it, but what you put into it."

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

Hi, has anyone taken this cruise with Collette? I would like to go in May 2013, all is self explanitory, except I would like to know about or actually see the vessel one would be taking

Thanks

Pawtucket, Rhode...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

Hello,

Please feel free to give us a call to discuss the Russian River Cruise in further detail at 800.528.0351. The cruise departs on May 11, 2013 and returns on May 21, 2013. You will be sailing aboard the ship Litvinov, a cruise ship considered to be a 3 star experience, similar to that of many other Russian style vessels. This cruise REALLY focuses on the vast array of cultural experiences and all that Russia has to offer. It's an opportunity to sightsee throughout Moscow, Uglich, Goritsy, Lake Onega, the Svir River, and St. Petersburg with the convenience of a single trip. For further details, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best,

Amelia DeCesare

Social Media

Collette Vacations

Delta, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

My husband and I took Collettes "bargain" river cruise from Moscow to Leningrad last Sept. 21 which was to be aboard the Sergei Rachmaninoff. I googled the ship and it looked fine - nice bathrooms, showers etc. When we got to the ship it was named the Marshall Koshevoy masquerading as the MS Sergei Rachmaninoff and it was terrible. The staterooms were small, the bunks narrow and uncomfortable and the shower consisted of a handheld unit to be used while standing at the sink in an extremely small bathroom. The toilet smelled vile all the time and eventually stopped flushing solids altogether. They had to be pushed down with a brush. My bunk was attached to my neighbors thru a very thin wall and when she turned, I bounced and vice versa. The windows blew a draft thru the cabin which forced people to turn their heads towards the bottom of the bed. Ours was not the only negative experience on that ship. All passengers told the same tale. For this "minor" inconvenience, Collette Tours sent us all a cheque for $200.00 each - period. On a positive note I can say that the staff - though fluent only in Russian were lovely and the food was a taste of Russian cuisine which we appreciated. The Collette tour guides apologized profusely and did their best for all of us. Collette also booked our flights and met us at the plane which did mean a lot in a strange country. I wish you all a good cruise and hope it is more positive than ours

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
947 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

Our stateroom also smelled of sewage. The tour coordinator half-heartedly offered to switch with us if the sewage odor didn't clear in a couple of days. Thanks for nothing.

My biggest problem was that I was dropped off at the wrong airport in St. Petersburg to catch my flight home.

It was a very horrible situation for me, as I was out of rubles and taxis don't accept credit cards. No buses to the correct airport. The airport staff spoke little English and didn't know how I should get to the correct airport.

At first the inconvenience of being dropped off three hours before I needed to be there (because other people on the tour were leaving three hours before me, and the tour director didn't want to make a later trip to the airport for only me), turned into a blessing, because I needed the time to get to the right airport.

I eventually got to the right airport by approaching an unmarked car that was discharging passengers, waving my remaining eight American dollars at the driver-the only cash I had, and pointing to my airline ticket. I have never hitch-hiked out of fear, but my desire to catch my flight home overrode common sense, and what were my options?

For all this, Collette refunded half of the $100 airport transfer fees I paid. I'd say you did well to get $200 back.

Delta, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking Details About Collette Russian River Cruise

Now there are at least 3 people that will never travel with Collette Tours again. Russian Airports are scary enough when you are at the correct one!