We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kursk infi please

Huddersfield,England
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kursk infi please

My late farther was born in Kursk and eventualy settled down in Enland so I would like to know a little about the place.

What's the weather like,places of intrest and if there are anyone by the name of Nikitin still living in Kursk.

Lancaster, PA
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Kursk infi please

Paraa,

I am an american traveling to Kursk in a few days. I might be able to find out something. I will try to contact you for more info once I get there on the 26th of Dec.

Rich of PA, USA

Male
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kursk infi please

Hello Paraa,

Well, I am a medical student at Kursk State Medical University. It's my 5th and penultimate year of the course. Kursk is a small but an 'ok' place. Can't say its great, but I have to add that the changes it has seen in the past 5 years is immense. The peolpe here were very arrogant when I first came here. And they were violent against us foreigners. Things, however have changed since then. People have started to accept the outside world and the city is booming with supermarkets and foreign brands. Things have become very expensive compared to what it was 5 years back when we could easily do away with $80-100/month. Now $200 isnt sufficient.

Well, there are a few rivers running through the town, some museums, theatres, churches etc.

And by the way, I am from the Republic of Maldives.

Write in to me if you need anything more. Will be glad to help.

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kursk infi please

Hi PARAA/NISHOE,

I am from Singapore, an island off Malaysia. My daughter is intending to do Medical studies in Kursks. Please advise as to what she has to know and do at Kursk. Our concerns is more on the weather, food/water conditions and the what she can expect and do to last for the six years.

Warmest Regards

Subra R.J.

Male
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kursk infi please

Hello Subra,

I would be glad to be of any help to you and your daughter. I am, like I already mentioned, a student of the Kursk medical university. Having lived five years in Kursk and having studied for 5 years at this university, it would not be wrong if I said that I am well aware of the situation here. I can give you details of Kursk and KSMU in particular if you could post your email address here and I will get in touch with you. This thread is for Paraa and it would not be good to divert her topic. I am sure you'd agree too :)

Good luck and best wishes,

Nishoe.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kursk infi please

Hi Nishoe,

I am an American from Seattle visiting Kurst for just a couple days on a photo journey. But I just can't find anywhere to stay near the train station, where I will be coming from Moscow around Jan 7th '05. Could you give me any clues? The only one I can find is Solovyinaya Roscha which seems to be too far away from the station.

Many thanks!

Matt, 31

matt@nwpix.com

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kursk infi please

Really I meant Jan' 06. hahah

Male
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kursk infi please

Hi Settlematt,

There are lots of places you could put up at. If you could tell me the price range you are expecting to pay for your hotel maybe I could be of some help. And this town is pretty small. So you dont have to be scared of being too far from the train station.

There is a hotel about 1.5km from the station called Kolizei and another 2km from the station called Kursk Gosthineethsa. I am not too sure about the prices but can find out for you if you reply to this post.

UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kursk infi please

Hi Nishoe

My name is May and i am planning to visist Kursk at the end of this month from the UK to see my sister at KSMU in her 1st year.

Could you advice me on the hotel nearest to the university? or even on Karl Marx street? so i can book it in advance?

is it advisable to come to kursk by train or plane? is the airport nearby?

thanks for your help

Male
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kursk infi please

Hello May,

The railway station is very close to the university (3-5 mins by car). The hostels closest to the university are Hostel No 1 and 5. I think you might be allowed to stay with your sister if she is not sharing her room. The nearest hotel is called Kolizei as I have mentioned in an earlier post. I am not sure about the procedure for advance booking.

Getting here by train takes 8 hrs and about 10 or 15 US$ (about 20 if coupe). Trains are available throughout the day with intervals of 1hr or the likes.

I have heard about a Moscow-Kursk flight but am not too sure. I have always traveled by land.

If its your first time and if you can not manage in Russian, I'd suggest you ask your sister to arrange someone to pick you up. Working your way around Moscow and rachink Kursk might be tricky or even a pain.

Let me know if you need anything.

Best wishes,

Nishoe

UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kursk infi please

Thank you Nishoe,

Very kind of you.

I heard the trains leave Moscow every 8 hours. You are saying they leave every 1 hour or so...that is much better indeed!

And i heard the return train tickets cost $150 or something like that...you say they cost $20!...again much better...but please confirm these details if you don't mind.

I am getting a person to pick us up at Moscow and I am travelling with two others so i need to book Hotel...At the moment i am trying to book a hotel called Hotel Oktyabrskaya. It is on Lenin Street. Is that far away from uni? Have you heard of it?

Thank you once again. Best wishes, May

Get answers to your questions about Kursk
Recent Conversations