We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

Hi guys,

I have a question. I have dual nationality (Dutch and Russian) but my Russian zagran passport has expired. I am going to the World Cup and I have applied for a FAN ID (which gives you visa-free travel into Russia during the World Cup) on my Dutch passport. Will Russia allow me to enter and exit on my Dutch passport or are they going to refuse me at point of entry despite having granted me the FAN ID? I will ring the embassy today and find out but I have a feeling that their line is going to be that I should be entering on my Russian passport.

Any help would be appreciated, especially from any other dual Nationals who have experience entering Russia on their non-Russian passport.

Kind regards,

Kristiena

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
58 replies to this topic
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

As a russian citizen you can only cross the russian border with a russian passport - END OF STORY. I met a girl on a flight out of russia who had been refused because she had tried to enter on her german passport - and could not attend her father's funeral. Your place of birth on the dutch passport will give the game away - so don't bother trying. There is still just about time to get your passport renewed. You can also try and get a 5 year non-biometric passport which is normally issued by the embassy. My son has an appointment for Wednesday for a 10 year one - but if they can't give it in time then we will try for the 5 year version.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

Having an expired passport adds to the turnaround time. I assume you don't have a valid internal passport? Unfortunately ppl issuing the fan IDs are not the same ppl who will greet you at passport controls.

Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

I will do the application tonight but it's quite difficult for someone who isn't fluent in reading Russian and the embassy isn't particularly helpful. Does the 5 year passport get issued quicker?

Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

I have a valid internal passport in that I don't think the internal one expires? I doesn't have an expiry date anyway.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

The internal one expires at your 20th and 45th birthday...

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

Believe it or not this sort of thing comes up quite often. Travelling in and out the EU it does not matter. But travelling in/out of countries like the USA or Russia it matters alot. The Americans are extremely pedantic about it and will insist on a certificate proving you have renounced your citizenship if your place of birth is USA and you are travelling on non-US passport.

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

If you have a valid internal passport you are golden because otherwise they would have to research you civizenship status which can take months. Turnaround on a 10 year passport was 1 month but can be more due to the fact they are printed in Moscow. Maybe 5 year docs are done locally at the consulate?

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

Am I missing something...if she hands Passport Control her Dutch passport and FAN ID, why would they know or bother her about having her Russian passport? I do know as others have stated here a "Russian citizen cannot get a visa" since they must have a Russian passport, BUT, would not WC and FanID make this irrelevant...

I am more often than not "wrong" about a lot of this WC stuff, but just asking???

Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

Ebertsj, that's exactly what I was hoping. My Dutch passport does show that I was born in Leningrad so my only worry is that the customs officer asks me straight up if I own a Russian passport as it is a criminal offence to lie about citizenship in Russia, I'm sure. If I have to admit that I do, I am scared he will then refuse me entry at that point and just put me back on the first plane.

Mentioned in this post
Leningrad Oblast
Leningrad Oblast
Northwestern District, Russia
Russia
Russia
Europe
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport

I don’t know about criminal but the chances of getting caught are pretty high. These guys are pros of course someone may be in a lax mood and overlook this

Reply to: Russian Dual national with expired Russian passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted