We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is "Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia to groups?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Is "Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia to groups?

I am looking for a unique dinner experience for my large group (26 people) in Russia. When I took a tour group to Romania, the tour operator offered a "dinner with the peasants". We drove to a farm in a rural community and sat down to a nice private dinner prepared by a peasant family. Does anyone know if this is offered to tour groups in Russia? This was an incredible experience in Russia and allowed us to see Russian life up close and personal. My group will be in the Moscow, Novgorod, and St. Petersburg areas of Russia in November.

Moscow
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is "Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia to groups?

Hi, Ptadin,

Perhaps, I missed something, but I have not heard about the full-scale dinner with Russian peasants for a big group of tourists.

I know that in some places in Suzdal they offer traditional Russian meals (contact any travel agent dealing with Suzdal, note that some "authentic" hotels in this town are really small). Also you can visit the old Russian town of Myshkin, where there is a LOT of local initiative to develop tourist infrastructure. Perhaps, this is the closest you can get to the authentic Russia.

http://www.myshkin.ru/eindex.htm

Enjoy your trip

Northumberland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is "Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia to groups?

I am coming to Texas in February 2008, I was wondering if there was any possibility of arranging a meal with Texan Peasants or maybe even some Hillbillies.

Now does that sound rude or what!

How much nicer it would have been to put something like the following in your posting;

We are a large group and we would like to eat a traditional meal with a local family in their own home etc

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is "Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia to groups?

I guess "Dinner with the Peasants" means different things to different cultures. Certainly there was no harm or ill will intended. As my post stated, this unique experience was incredible in Romania and is offered to many tour groups visiting Romania (perhaps you should visit and see for yourself). The family, however, was far from being true peasants of medievel ages as they owned a large farm and had a large dining hall for tour groups. This was more of a folk show as they all wore period costumes and displayed customs of years past. The whole event is marketed to tour operators as "Dinner with the Peasants" and it is well worth a visit to experience it.

4. Re: Is "Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia to groups?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 19:20