We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in moscow?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
safety in moscow?

I will be in Moscow for 10 days in April while my husband is there on business. I have been hearing so many differing opinions on safety. I've read on this site that it has been much better the past few years. I am used to exploring foreign cities alone and am wondering if I will also be okay to do so in Moscow during the day or would I be better off to find various tours.

Drexel Hill
Level Contributor
217 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in moscow?

This is from Russia travel guide and I just had to post it here as my friend found out that I am taking my wife and 2 boys there in 3 weeks and she sent this to me and now, I feel a bit scared but have no choice of backing out as everything is all paid for...hmmm, I know it'll be grand vacation...perhaps just the usual bit of smarts should be put into practice...can't be worse than other place right?

Safety

With the demise of the Soviet Union, crime has been rising throughout Russia, but is mostly related to rival mafia gangs. Taking normal precautions that you would in many of the world’s cities should be sufficient; i.e. not flaunting valuables or not walking alone at night through city streets or parks.

Pick-pocketing and bag filching may occur on crowded public transport and hotel rooms are not thief-proof. Lock everything into your bags before leaving the room and use a safe deposit if there is one.

Take care with taxis. Do not use unmarked taxis or accept rides in taxis that already have a rider.

Travel to Chechnya and the north Caucasus is not recommended; check the Foreign Office site or tour operators for up-to-date warnings. Otherwise stay on the regular tourist routes.

It is strongly advised not to travel to Chechyna, Ingushetia, Dagestan, North Ossetia, Karachai-Cherkessia, Kabardino-Balkaria (including the Elbrus area) and to the eastern and southern parts of Stavropol Krai, particularly where it borders Chechnya and North Ossetia. It is advised that potential travellers monitor this situation. There is a high threat from domestic terrorism in Russia, including suicide bombings in public places.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in moscow?

It's fine to walk around Moscow during the day or night. Luckily, I've never had an issue with safety and I've been travelling to Russia since 1986 and lived there for a year alone some years back. Bad things do happen of course. I should think you will return home wondering what all the worrying was about.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in moscow?

If you read the safety advice notice that was posted by petpringles, above, it is actually good advice anywhere. I have lived here several years now, and I can tell you that I feel much safer on the streets of Moscow, both day and night, than I have ever felt in any large American city. The postings are correct that, since the end of the Soviet era, crime has risen, but that's because there was almost no crime then - at least little or none that got reported - so they had nowhere to go but up. Yes, there is organized crime, but they mostly deal with each other and leave the average citizen/tourist alone. Probably the greatest crime risk for a tourist is petty theft/pickpocketing, although I don't personally know of anyone who has even suffered from that. Again, good sense, i.e., keeping your valuable secure, is advisable anywhere. Bottom line is that all that scary advice is good to be aware of, because no matter where you are, at home or abroad, you should always be a little bit on your toes to look out for opportunists, but don't let it scare you into being miserable, or afraid to enjoy the trip.

The thing that they should really warn you about is just general public safety. Safety standards here are not what you are accustomed to back home. You need to watch yourself carefully around construction areas, of which there are many, and while crossing the streets. Often, construction equipment is situated right on a sidewalk, with no protective barriers, etc., so that the public is walking right through the middle of the work - not a very safe practice. Drivers don't necessarily give the right of way to pedestrians, and many, in fact, seem to enjoy "challenging" pedestrians with their cars, so just be cautious crossing the street.

Drexel Hill
Level Contributor
217 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in moscow?

Thanks SP...I feel betteer now...I do become a mother her when traveling with my family as I want them to enjoy themselves and not worry so I am always hovering about and ensuring their safety. Hope you understand.

We are set and ready to enjoy Russia...another trip fo a lifetime for my family. A chance for us to relax, reconnect and enjoy each other's company and be away from our crazy daily schedule where we seem to be jumping out of the house at the same time...even for a brief 10 days.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in moscow?

I absolutely understand and agree. When I travel with my family, I'm always trying to put their safety first. My entire family has been in Moscow, and we've never felt threatened. Most of the expatriate ladies I know here have no qualms about running around town alone. Hope you enjoy your trip!

doughjohnes
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in moscow?

Dear nk2007,

All above is correct. Generelly, you feel safe in the streets of Moscow. IMHO don't go to very cheap places and try to stay in branded hotel otherwise it can occur you\ll loose your money or jewellery in the room :)

Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in moscow?

Thanks so much for all the replies. I am just going to use regular precautions and enjoy myself!

Northumberland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in moscow?

Hi nk2007, I will also be in Moscow exploring for a few days in April.....while MY husband is on business. This was a great question !! I feel better about safety now. If you see me around, give me a wave !!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safety in moscow?

I was there in march 2006 and felt very safe tbh.

10. Re: safety in moscow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 07:22