We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

Sacramento CA
3 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

My husband and I have a trip planned to St Petersburg and Moscow for this September. Given the current events with Georgia and that we are Americans, is it safe to go forward with our plans.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

It's not that Russians are hostile with americans. People understand that events with Georgia have politics as a bottomline, and american citizens aren't in charge of it. As any other foreighers they come to Russia to have rest and enjoy their time. So you are very welcome:)

oslo
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

You don't need to be afraid. I don't think you will have any problems because you are americans. People understand that events in Georgia are only " games of politicians" and have nothing to do with americans or georgians citizens.

Just go forward with you plans and have a nice trip

Moscow
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

don't worry about this.

it's not a people war, it's political war.

Edinburgh,Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

Hi SusanKS

I got back from a holiday in Russia just a week ago.

I was in both Moscow and St.P (thats the trendy way to say it they tell me ??).Dont worry about a thing.You would not think there was a conflict going on.They are not anti American so dont worry. I heard plenty U.S. accents while I was there.

Anyway you have made a good choice of destinations. Moscow and ,er, St P are both great places to visit.

Forget the politicians and just enjoy these two citys as i"m sure you will.

Have a great trip.

P.S. Take good walking shoes with you---broken in ones I mean----cause there is so much wandering to do. Cheers.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

My fiance and I traveled to St. Petersburg and Moscow this past May. Although my fiance is originally from Russia, I am American. Russia is a beautiful country, and well worth the visit. I highly encourage you to go along with your original travel plans. Although the media here makes the war highly publicized, it is a very political situation on both sides. Russians will not think any differently towards American citizens due to political play. Do not think of Russian citizens any differently either. Obviously take precautions as you would with any large city (NYC, Paris...) but enjoy your visit!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

Yes, there is a small conflict thousands of miles away. That conflict was not visible last weekend in St Pete. The Russians you will meet as a tourist are not interested in your political opinions, they are interested in your money.

I would use normal caution as in any big city, US citizen or not.

7. Re: Is it safe for Americans to travel in Russia ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 11:21