We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Petersburg to Moscow - DAY TRAIN

Victoria
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
St Petersburg to Moscow - DAY TRAIN

Planning to travel in June 2009 by train from

St Petersburg to Moscow. I want to travel by day in a "sitting carriage". I checked out Trainsrussia.com and the train I want to travel on appears to have two prices for sitting. There is no explaination as to why the price difference. Also looking for any experience on day travel in a fast train (5.5 hours)

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Petersburg to Moscow - DAY TRAIN

The price difference is as there are 2 classes. in the socond class there are 2+2 seats in the row, in the 1st class - 2+1 wider seats, and a snack/drink served at seat.

Experience - nice in su,,er, when daylight. In winter is quiet dark, but snowvy and also could be unusually beautiful.

As for time of 5,5 hours - get a beer, and it will pass quickly :).

Good luck!

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St Petersburg to Moscow - DAY TRAIN

I took the Aurora Train (#159) from St P to Moscow in August.

I think we had 2nd class tickets.

The train was ontime as always in Russia, centrally located in both cities, and nothing was wrong with it. It is not luxurious, the seats were not in great condition, the train had a bit of a foul odour, but it did the job. If I was taking the train again I would try a different company just with hopes that it would be a bit nicer.

The scenery was nice, the train made a couple of brief stops (3 or 4 minutes) in small towns to let people on and off along the way.

Enjoy your trip.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Petersburg to Moscow - DAY TRAIN

There are 2 trains - Aurora leaving at 16.30 (tickets sold 45 days in advance) and Nevsky Express leaving at 18.30 (tickets sold 7 or 10 days in advance); journey time is less than 5 hours.

Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Petersburg to Moscow - DAY TRAIN

We are planning a reverse trip being Moscow to St Petersburg in mid July. Is there a comfortable train leaving Moscow after midday so we can view as much of the countryside as possible?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Petersburg to Moscow - DAY TRAIN

We are also planning to travel from St Petersburg to Mopscow by train (in April 09) and are planning to travel on the Yunost Train #23 leaving St Petersburg at 13.05. As this arrives in Moscow at 20.55 you should get to see plenty of scenery in June.

6. Re: St Petersburg to Moscow - DAY TRAIN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 17:32
Get answers to your questions about Moscow