We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Russia...

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
316 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Russia...

Hello,

I am thinking of coming to Russia for the first time and would like to know should my first visit be to Moscow or St Petersburg? I would like to come between March and June but would like the weather to be not too cold, when is a good time to come?

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Russia...

Welcome to St.Petersburg first - in second half of May when it is not yet full tourist season and usually already not cold.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Russia...

I love Moscow, but if I could only visit one city in all of Russia, it would have to be St Petersburg.

Ireland
Level Contributor
316 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Russia...

I have gone with your recommendation and have priced flights and accommodation for St Petersburg with a travel agent. The price they have quoted me for the hotel is 304euro dearer than the hotels website. If I book the flights and hotel myself on line will I be able to sort out the visa paperwork myself or is it very difficult? On the hotels website it says they will fax me the form to fill out. I plan to come from March 14th - 18th & coming from Ireland I am wondering will it be too cold for us at this time? We are not used to very cold tempatures and am wondering is 2 degrees in Russia much colder than our 2 degrees?

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Russia...

In general, you can do the visa paperwork yourself, as long as you know where to take/send it once you get it all prepared (generally, the nearest Russian conulate or embassy in Ireland), but I wonder whether you will have time to get it done by March 14th. That's cutting it very close! You can surely find a visa service in Ireland which will handle the processing for you. It will come at a price, but they are more likely to get it done correctly and on-time. Also, as to timing, it can be quite cold in mid-March, and it is not a pretty cold either. By March, the streets are just muddy, icy, slushy, etc. I really think you would enjoy your trip more if you waited until May, as suggested by Veresch. Also agree that St. Petersburg is probably a better bet for a first-time trip. As much as I love Moscow, I have to admit that St. Pete is really prettier and more tourist-friendly.

Ireland
Level Contributor
316 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Russia...

Thank you for your email. I have given it alot of thought and have decided not to visit St Petersburg at this time. I am going to wait and hope to visit in the summer of next year....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Russia...

Hi there, are you still going to Moscow in March? I have booked my flights for Easter (ours not theirs) so am hoping it will have warmed up a bit by then! Love to hear how it went... this will be a first for me also.

Ireland
Level Contributor
316 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Russia...

Hi Ritabix,

Due to the weather and visa situation I decided not to go at this time. I spoke to a very rude and unhelpful guy in the visa department in Dublin who would not tell me if it was possible to process the visa in the time limit I had so I was not willing to book flights & accommodation I then discover I didn't have a visa. I would be very interested to hear how you get on as I am planning to go there next summer.....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Russia...

Yes there is alot of red tape and we are only going for 4 days. I had to get a new passport because I was 1 day out on the 6 month rule. The visa will cost 60 and you have to book your hotel first to get a letter of invitation from them to put with your Visa. Wish me luck..at least I live near the consulate.

Moscow
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Russia...

Hi,

I think it will be nice to start your trip at the beginning of June. The weather is usually nice at this time and there will be not much tourists. At least in Moscow :) They will have Eurovision this year till the 16th of May, and the prices for accomodation will be increased.

Wales
Level Contributor
419 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Russia...

If you're still considering a visit to Russia checkout www.realrussia.co.uk for advice on visas.