We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Petesburg Moscow by plane

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
St. Petesburg Moscow by plane

Hi all,

Is St. Petesburg Moscow by plane feasable for someone who doesn't speak Russian?

If not is it possible to book a train compartment for 3 persons? Also I cant seem to find where to buy/book tickets here: http://eng.rzd.ru/

I am considering two different sets of hotels for the two cities:

One more expensive: Marriot Courtyard Moscow City Center and Hotel Pushka INN

And a budget one: Hotel Sovietsky , Herzen House Hotel.

What do you make of them?

Also from what I read I get a lot of mix feelings about being able to visit both cities without a guide ( I dont speak russian). I have traveled through out Europe with no guide: Istanbul, Check Republica, France, Uk, Spain, Italy, East Germany (not much english spoken there) for instance and I only speak english, portuguese, spanish and a bit of french. Do I need one in Russia?

Tks so much in advance for your help

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Petesburg Moscow by plane

Hi, and welcome. I think you cag come here without Russian, bat at least read a guidebook! :) In this case Marriott Courtyard is much better in Moscow than Sovietskiy, as it is walking distance from main sites.From Sovietskiy you'll have to walk+metro, or take a taxi on a congested street. Get comments for St. Petersburg from other travellers here.

As for train tickets-you can get them from your hotel while being here, if you have a day or two in advance, and not looking for extra-cheap 3rd class on Friday or Sunday evening. For 3 people you'll have to buy 4 tickets for a 4-berth compartment.

Plane could be cheaper, but it will take a part of your valuable day, addeing the time to the airport and checking in. But this is what you can do in English online easily.

Good luck!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Petesburg Moscow by plane

Thanks so much Vasily_from_Moscow for your input. Can anyone else further help me with my questions?

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Petesburg Moscow by plane

Lots of people find the possibility to visit Russia independently. Take a good new guide book, learn how to read Cyrillic and come.

As for the hotel I don't see any particular reason to spend more on it while in St.Pete - you will only sleep there and spend the days outdoors so simply go for Hezen House - its small, nice, clean, perfectly located.

I would not recommend taking a plane - it's waste of time and also it is rather stressful. You can get a train tickets - buy the whole 4-berth compartment and feel comfortable.

Have a pleasant trip!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Petesburg Moscow by plane

thanks so much Eugenia_Kempinsky for your help.

Just on question what's the site for booking tickets? (cause this http://eng.rzd.ru/ one does not seem to work)

5. Re: St. Petesburg Moscow by plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 20:19