We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport to arrive in?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best airport to arrive in?

Which is the "easiest" airport to arrive in- SVO, DME or Vnukovo? Seems like Vunkovo is the shortest distance and cheapest taxi... I am trying to get to le meridien in Red Square. Thanks!

Moscow
Level Contributor
76 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airport to arrive in?

SVO would be the better - shortest option. Only a few airlines are arriving to Vnukovo.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airport to arrive in?

Thanks for the help. All the Aeroflot flights go to SVO- we are coming from LED. Rossiya has a flight at 6:50 AM or so going to VNO. Is SVO easiest in terms of using the train?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airport to arrive in?

You also need to consider where your hotel is in relation to the airports.

I arrived at DME, but my hotel was the other side of the city, and it took me nearly 4 hours by taxi having to get around the ring road in the horrendous Moscow traffic

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airport to arrive in?

We are staying at Le Meridien National in Red Square. It looks like we will go to SVO. A friend told me to avoid the tupolev planes though...which are what the aeroflot ones to SVO are.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airport to arrive in?

Not that true for Aeroflot, as some flights are Tu-154, and some Airbus 320. Check on aeroflot.ru, although all Aeroflot planes are OK. Do you seek super-comfort for a 1:15 flight?

For the Le Meridien National - any airport is OK, if you use train+metro, in case of Vnukovo it even will be quicker to take a bus to metro Yugo-Zapadnaya, (not in the morning!!!) and direct line to Okhotnyi Ryad - at a doorstep of your hotel. DME is a train-demanding to Paveletskaya, and direct line again to Teatralnaya, same doorsteps. SVO is a harder metro case from Saviolovskaya, requiring a train change or some walk from Borovitskaya, but the shortest flying time and widest choice of flights. Good luck!

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airport to arrive in?

The easiest is whereever the direct train goes (http://aeroexpress.ru) as you don't want to be stuck in traffic.

If you're flying from Saint-Petersburg to SVO, you will get to SVO 1 and may have to spend a lot of time and energy to get to SVO 2 (international terminal) where the train is leaving from.

In that case, better arrive in Vnukovo or Domodedovo (RUB 250 per ticket, and around 30-40 minutes to get to the centre)

Don't bother with taxi

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airport to arrive in?

I've never flown into/out of Vnukovo, but if you are comfortable with the train/Metro option, DME will likely be the easiest. The train station at SVO is near Terminal 2, which is a bus/taxi ride of 15 minutes or more from terminal 1 where you will be arriving from St. Pete, then as noted by another poster, you will have a more complicated train/Metro ride into the city. From DME, the train station is located at one end of the airport terminal building. You will take the train to the Paveletsky Train Station, then switch to the Metro, Paveletskaya Station, which is adjacent to the train station. You will then take the Metro (green line) to the Teatralnaya Station, which is very near the hotel.

Additiionally, the passport control lines have a history of being faster at DME, although I think they have improved at SVO.

8. Re: Best airport to arrive in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2009, 06:19