We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
68 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Hi

Please help, I cant seem to find an answer, we are travelling to Dubai and have a layover in Moscow for 2 hours, each way of our journey, do we have to get the Tourist Visa or is there some kind of intransit thing we can get from the Airport, we are British Citizens, any help much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Moscow has 3 (three) international airports. If you don't change airports, you don't need the visa, if you do - you need one but you won't make it in 2 hours anyway :)

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
68 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Thankyou I am flying in and back out of Sheremetyevo, Thanks for your help.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
43 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Actually, this is a great question!

I'm doing the same thing in the summer...I think I'm flying in from Paris into Terminal 2 and flying out of Terminal 3 about 4 hours later...I have no idea if I need to go thru immigration control...anyone have any ideas? I can't see spending $180.00 for a transit visa to sit in the airport...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

> I'm flying in from Paris into Terminal 2 and flying out of Terminal 3 about 4 hours later...

There is no (and have never been) "Terminal 3" and the new name for former Terminal 2 is "Terminal F" (they switched to letters recently), so please re-check your terminals.

As for whether you need a transit visa to change terminals - the info written on their web site is kind of fuzzy - I'd call them and ask.

http://svo.aero/en/transit/rules/

Baltimore
Level Contributor
43 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Thanks for the info! Yes, it's a bit confusing...I called both airlines and even they weren't quite sure.

I think as it gets closer, I'll keep trying to firm up the info. I don't want to have to deal with it when I'm in the airport!

Spasebo!

Lew

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Of course it's fuzzy - Russia isn't about rules, it's about soul! I know a guy in a similar situation, they put him in a van and drove him to another SVO terminal bypassing passport controls. However he had only carry-on luggage.

NY
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Hi,

I am going to fly from New York to SVO Terminal D and then, from Terminal F to my final destination.

Could please let me know if you needed any Transit Visa. I think you had the same situation.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

It depends upon your final destination, as terminal F serves both domestic and international destination. If your final destination is in Russia, or Minsk, Belarus - you need a Russian visa. If international - no need.

NY
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

Thanks,

My final destination is Iran, i.e., my flight is NY/Moscow/Tehran. So you mean, even if the flight lands in terminal D and I have to transit to terminal F to catch the next flight to Iran, I don't need the Russian transit visa?

thanks for your kind response.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa needed if on layover at Moscow Airport???????

I am looking at today's SVO timetable and see that all flights to/from NYC and Tehran are in terminal F. Are you sure one of your flights is in terminal D? When are you flying?