We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

Hi Group, I am going on a cruise in Russia but have time in both Moscow and St Petersberg Cities during the tour. Is it better to exchange money in Australia prior to leaving or exchang at the airport when I arrive.

What would be the best exchange rate?.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

I think you will be much better off bringing US dollars or Euros.

Edited: 27 January 2010, 02:01
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

I was under the impression that Russia uses Roubles not US Dollars or Euros as I don't want to change currency twice.

Is this the case in Moscow and St petersberg or not?.

I am just looking for the best place to exchange money at the airport or at home so I am afraid you response does not help me.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

> I was under the impression that Russia uses Roubles not US Dollars or Euros

You're very well educated but what you fail to take into account is that very few banks in Russia would trade such exotic currency as Australian Dollar. You might have luck or you might get stranded in the airport with a wad of cash no one would take. If you don't want to change currency twice (which is reasonable) your best bet is to bring your credit card (preferably VISA or MasterCard, not some obscure local variety) and use it to draw rubles from an ATM once in the airport.

Edited: 27 January 2010, 05:26
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

I am just looking for the best place to exchange money at the airport or at home

Both are bad ideas IMO for reasons Marassa indicated, and because ruble exchange rates outside of Russia are generally very poor. You can however exchange USD and Euros into rubles in Russia easily everywhere at highly competitive rates.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

<<or you might get stranded in the airport with a wad of cash no one would take.>>

Unlikely, Marassa… I saw this fall at SVO currency exchange counter that listed over 20 major world currencies, Australian dollar included. The rates, though, correct, may not be that good for exotic moneys. But Master Card & Visa may charge a draconic fee per each currency exchange transaction. I guess that depends on the bank issued the card. Just call your card provider and find out all the fees attached.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

Thanks all,

I was just hoping someone who had done the trip to Russia from Australia might have responded. I did intend to take my Visa and American express cards anyway but thought I would take a small amount of local currency (Roubles) also.

Regards Keith

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

Well, I could not get any roubles prior to leaving Melbourne. Apparently I would have had to order some and go into the CBD branch to collect them, so I didn't bother.

We just used our ATM cards and were charged of course but it was really easy and there were no problems at all.

On a couple of occasions we exchanged our money at a small currency exchange place on Tverskaya and there were no fees and we received an exchange rate we were very happy with.

We had been told to take new looking notes, so we did. I don't know if that is really required but I took all the advice I could in order to minimise any potential difficulties.

Hope this helps.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

Sberbank (national savings bank) buys AUS dollars. Branches are frequent, just remember their logo from www.sbrf.ru

It has branches in all Moscow airports, open 24hrs

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

Thanks for your response. I too have not been able to get any Roubles in Sydney so I was advised to get a Travelcard in US dollars and use that throughout Russia for changing money. Everyone seems to like US dollars not exotic currencies like Australian.

Regards Keith

australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing Australian Currency for Russian Roubles

once you leave the local pacific area forget about Australian dollars, not well known (not enough people here). Also will cause you confusion, think american dollars where ever you go or transact, or you will end up out of pocket (each will be thinking differant dollars) .Simply 2 US to our 1.