We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Moscow to St Petersburg - day or o/night?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
148 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Train Moscow to St Petersburg - day or o/night?

Is it best to travel on the day train from Moscow to St P? Or is the night one OK. Friends told me even 1st class on the night train was not good and they hardly slept. Any ideas? Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Moscow to St Petersburg - day or o/night?

Here is the info on all trains

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294459-i705-k3066…

It depends on you. If you do not like the sound of wheels (not very loud), then take the day train. It also depends on what trains you take, that is why i created the travel guide (see above). It has all the recommendations (some trains are better that others).

i will post photos soon, so you can compare.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Moscow to St Petersburg - day or o/night?

No one can tell u how u will personally react. Example: we were on a cruise ship and hit some heavy seas. Some ppl couldn't sleep from all the tossing, but I slept like a baby.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Moscow to St Petersburg - day or o/night?

I personally prefer daily express train and comfortable bed in the hotel at night.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Moscow to St Petersburg - day or o/night?

Hi, up to you, but we'd never do it again at night. We had an older less comfortable train, so you might be luckier (although it is very hard to be sure exactly what your train is actually like in advance for many of the departures - the timetables on line do not show all the trains, like ours, and only some of them are pictured).

We hardly slept, partly because of the jolty and slow progress through the suburbs and periodic pauses through the night after you've sped up in the country and partly the novelty of it all (eg at the start, the older women serving tea and a biscuit and then later demanding some roubles for it!!). Also partly because they leave late at night and then arrive very early in the morning - OK if you only need fairly short sleeps.

The bit that left us really feeling ragged on arrival in St.Pete was the fact that we were woken up literally 5 minutes out from the station, so we hastily and groggily dressed and realised that breakfast was not provided (despite what our booking said).

Next time we'd like to take in the scenery on the way.

Moscow
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Moscow to St Petersburg - day or o/night?

Better evening. Now you can get to St. Petersburg for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Info here: eng.rzd.ru/isvp/public/rzdeng…

6. Re: Train Moscow to St Petersburg - day or o/night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:17