We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Registration of Passport

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sallins, Kildare
Level Contributor
190 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Registration of Passport

Hi everyone,

Mywife and I are going to Russia for three days at the end of July. We are landing in Moscow around 2am on a Saturday morning and leaving on Monday eve.

As we both have Argentinean passports, we do not need a visa to enter Russia, which is a great plus.

However it is my understanding that we need to register us there, most likely at the hotel.

Do you know if this is mandatory considering the fact that most of our time is during weekend? in this case we would only be able to do it on Monday morning.

thank you

Juan

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,783 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Registration of Passport

> However it is my understanding that we need to register us there

Correct, but you are supposed to do it within THREE WORKING DAYS of your arrival, in your case - by Wednesday, so you shouldn't actually do anything. In an unlikely case that you are stopped by a policeman for a papers check, show him the stamp in your passport proving that you just arrived on Saturday. Whatever he says, don't give him any money!

On the other hand, the hotel you're staying at is supposed to do it for you for free, so why not do it to avoid any possibility of an awkward situation with the police?

Sallins, Kildare
Level Contributor
190 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Registration of Passport

thanks a lot. I will ask the hotel anyway about it, and avoid any issues. I want to avoid any problem when leaving Moscow.

thanks again

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Registration of Passport

I'd have the hotel also make a photo copy of your passport with the visa to carry while out, and leave the original back at the hotel. Handing your original passport to the policeman makes the shakedown much more intimidating.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,783 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Registration of Passport

> I'd have the hotel also make a photo copy of your passport with the visa to carry while out, and leave the original back at the hotel.

Very bad advice - a copy of a passport is not a valid ID.

> Handing your original passport to the policeman makes the shakedown much more intimidating.

Just curious, where do you find such policemen and why do you let shake you down?

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Registration of Passport

The police found us. We were stopped very close to our hotel near Tverskaya. Our driver said it was most likely because he had a new Volga. He jumped out and told us to not get out of the car. It was resolved fairly quickly with a small exchange of cash from what I understand.

I have heard that a photo copy of your passport is fine for being out and about. Of course the original could be produced if you had a serious problem.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Registration of Passport

had a new Volga.

What's that?

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Registration of Passport

A Russian car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volga_(automobile)

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,783 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Registration of Passport

> We were stopped very close to our hotel near Tverskaya. Our driver said it was most likely because he had a new Volga.

The most improbable reason for a car being stopped by police I ever heard ;)

> It was resolved fairly quickly

WHAT was resolved? The car being a new Volga? ;)

> with a small exchange of cash from what I understand.

The driver's cash I hope, not yours? And what does this have to do with passports and copies thereof?

> Of course the original could be produced if you had a serious problem.

Not being able to produce a valid ID on police request can be a serious problem, trust me.

Edited: 29 April 2010, 07:04
Sallins, Kildare
Level Contributor
190 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Registration of Passport

so after reading all of this I guess that we should keep our original passports with us at all times. it is what we do in general to avoid any issues (passports lost or stolen).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Registration of Passport

Yes, I would carry your passport at all times. We were of the belief that we had to have our passports with us at all times and you get used to it. Having said that, we had no problems at all in Moscow or in St Petersburg and we anticipate having a wonderful time again when we return there in August.