We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

I'm using CIBT for our Russian VISAs for a trip in July. We completed the paperwork, Fedexed application + passports and then we receive this notice from CIBT:

"I must advise that the Russia consulate has advised us that we will not be able to submit applications with an entry date in June or July until further notice."

So what's up with this??? Has Russia shut down all VISAs temporarily or just CIBT's VISASs?

Anyone have any information?

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

You may want to call a Russian Embassy directly to get current and accurate info. It looks like the DC consulate is the one used for TN.

ruscon.org/…COWashington

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

Thanks for the information. I've tried to call the Consulate office directly on several previous occasions...and today also. That's what pushed me to use the VISA service because no at the DC Consulate office EVER answers the phone. I either get a busy signal or a recording that all lines are busy and to hold the line for someone to answer. As on all previous occasions I'm eventually disconnected while "holding the line".

So bottom line is thank you for the information, but I was never able to talk to anyone in the DC Consulate office.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

So CIBT told us AFTER they had all of our paperwork and passports that the Russian Consulate in DC has decided to stop issuing VISAs for entries into Russia for June and July until futher notice.

CIBT said they would just hold our passports and paperwork until the Russian Consulate decides to start issuing VISAs again. Unfortunately I need my Passport for a trip that's coming up in about month which is BEFORE my planned trip to Russia in July/August.

This is my first attempt at planning a trip to Russia. I thought plane tix, hotel, invitation letter, tour guide would be the difficult part. I never dreamed that the Consular office would just decide to stop issuing VISAs for a month or two or however long they feel like it. Is this typical?

So I've wasted several dollars and lots of time fedexing paperwork+passports, fedexing corrections, fedexing return passport without VISAs. This is getting to be a little overwhelming. I think my thrill of seeing Russia is quickly dissipating.

Word of advice when buying plane tix to Russia: BUY the travel insurance that lets you cancel for any reason because it appears that you never really know if you're going to be allowed into the country or not.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,967 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

Good point about insurance.

A quick note - Russians DO ENJOY things like that, in general they are always unhappy because EVERY OTHER COUNTRY (almost) OF WORLD makes them apply visa ( and it is nightmare, humiliation and embarrassment for every russian passport holder) - so now they just return the courtesy.

And it is only in the case the CIBT agency tells you the truth. The only official announcement on the Russian Embassy official US page is....

<<The Consular Section of the Embassy will be closed on May 3 and May 10, 2010>>>

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

I hope this works out for you. I'm sure there's another way around this, but you'll have to get your passports back. My company uses TDS for their visas. There's an office in San Francisco so they could go through the San Francisco Consulate (I recently did this and had no problems getting our Visas. They do not take mailed applications so you'd have to go through an agency or visit in person.)

This is the TDS website: http://www.traveldocs.com/ru/vrsf.htm#t

Good luck.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,967 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

<<My company uses TDS for their visas.>>>>

Self promotion is prohibited on TA.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

I doubt that consulate would suspend issuing visas... it can, however, suspend an agency credentials until further notice, i heard of those cases at this forum. Have to disclose (for clarity) that I, personally, need no visa for entering RU.

Edited: 08 May 2010, 04:22
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,967 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

My point exactly, apprentice75.....

I also feel the agency just cover up their OWN inability to fulfill the obligations and invented the story of STOP-VISA-Issuing. No reason whatsoever for that from Russian side.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

Thanks for the advice. I also thought it was a bit strange that this agency didn't notify us until AFTER we had FEDEXed everything. I will check with other agencies.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,967 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No VISAs issued for June or July entry dates??? What's up?

Better check with the embassy. Yeahhhh I know how difficult to get through with their telephone policy , just a tip- try to call SF consulate or Houston, they answer calls more willingly.