We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of decent wine

Availability of decent wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2012, 16:30
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of decent wine

> do the grocery stores carry a decent red wine

They do, but expect to pay at least double the price you'd pay in the US for the same wine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of decent wine

Double price, I would call a rather optimistic estimate…. I found a decent choice of wines in “Azbuka Vkusa” supermarket chains, as I was aware of counterfeit products so shopped at reputable stores. The markup, though, was 200%++. My take… RU retail is heavy on French / Italian reds, I hardly saw any California reds, I guess there are rather heavily overpriced.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of decent wine

> I found a decent choice of wines in “Azbuka Vkusa” supermarket chains, as I was aware of counterfeit products so shopped at reputable stores. The markup, though, was 200%++.

You're right, Azbuka Vkusa is the most expensive chain around.

> I hardly saw any California reds

A 1 liter 'carafe' of Paul Masson red (I wonder if this Californian brand is actually known in California :) would retail here for an equivalent of about US$10 in a middle of the road supermarket like 7th Continent. You can extrapolate how much a more decent wine would cost here.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of decent wine

The one you quoted is a mere table brand, and I suspect its origins unlikely known as well as technology, so there is a little clue for priceline of decent reds could be derived. In US California decent reds usually refers to ratings of 89 – 95 points by wine enthusiasts magazines like Wine Spectator. Those ratings place them in the price range of ~ $30 - $100 per bottle.

Edited: 21 June 2010, 15:13
San Jose
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of decent wine

Marassa, yes Paul Masson winery is very close to where I live. They used to have many more vinyards in the silicon valley but the land has been used up over the years for housing. Now their Mountain Winery in Saratoga, California is well known locally for hosting a series of concerts in the summer on their grounds. Famous for good wines, not so much any more. If you ever get to california put me down for a tour.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of decent wine

> Paul Masson winery is very close to where I live

Good to know it's real ;) I haven't drunk Californian wine for quite a while now - mostly been drinking Argentinean/Chilean and Montenegrin wines lately.

I've been to CA a couple of times but somehow missed on the vineyard side completely - something to make up for! :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Availability of decent wine

$$$$. Welcome to Moscow, the most expensive city in the world to live. You can get what ever you want in Moscow, but you will pay the price. AIM.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Availability of decent wine

Ohhhhh,,,, Insightful words….i was not aware of that…:((( sorry for being so ignorant, but may be ONE thing’s excluded from “what ever you want” list.., Mr. American?

As the song goes: “can’t buy me LOVE” - or can you…???

:)))))

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Availability of decent wine

Based on one of the women I saw in our hotel you CAN buy love too! At least for an hour or two.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Availability of decent wine

> $$$$. Welcome to Moscow, the most expensive city in the world to live. <

The most expensive to visit, I think, not to live.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia