We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa info date starting

St-lambert
Level Contributor
935 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visa info date starting

Hello

When you ask for a 30 days tourist visa, when is the first date is validated. The date you are arriving in Russia, or the day that the consulate issued the visa ?

I am planning to visit in December, how soon should I request my Visa ?

Merci

Sylvain

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa info date starting

The rules may be different for different consulates, so I could be wrong in what I am about to say.... please do check up with your own consulate. You choose the starting date for your visa on your application form, it is NOT the date that the consulate stamps the visa (which, if you're wise, you'll organise well before the trip is due to start, as hiccups are not unknown).

The start and finish dates for the visa do NOT have to match exactly the dates of your accommodation bookings on your voucher/letter on invitation; you might be wise to add three or four days after you're due to leave and ask for the visa to cover these also, just in case of delays in your exit flight (someone wrote in to one of the forums recently to mention that his return flight was delayed until after the midnight deadline of his visa, and, although he was actually at the airport waiting room the whole time, some customs official, drunk with power, "arrested" him for being on Russian soil without a valid visa, and he had to buy his way out of the country!)

You are allowed (at least this is the case for Australian travellers to Russia) to apply for a visa three months before the start date, something which occasionally caused angst among travellers who had plans to leave home and travel around the continent for several months before winding up in Russia (you must apply for the visa in the country of your passport).My advice is to submit your application as early as the regulations allow, because there are several hurdles to jump in the form of extra documents to submit regarding your proposed accommodation and itinerary... it's safest to assume that at least one of these will not be in order, and everything will have to be re-submitted!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa info date starting

I always have the visa start date as the same day I will arrive in Russia. In America I may leave here in the morning, but bye the time I arrive in Russia, it is or will be the next day. This gives me a full 30 days on a tourist visa. You can arrive any day on or after the start date on the visa, meaning you don't have to arrive on the start or first date that's on the visa. AIM.

3. Re: Visa info date starting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 06:17