We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

Manila
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

I'll be in Russia for the first time this September attending a trade fair. Would like your advice/opinion on where to stay -

I'm aware that Aquarium Hotel is at the expo grounds itself, making it the most convenient. However, the reviews don't look promising and I wouldn't mind paying or travelling a bit more for comfort.

Would booking a hotel at the city center be that much out of the way? I hoping to stay near the tourist sites and possibly watch something at the Bolshoi Theater during rest days. I was quoted 1700 rub one way for a taxi to the expo. Are there any hotels that offer a shuttle for a more reasonable amount? And would taking the metro be a challenge as I do not speak/read Cyrillic?

Thanks!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

You might find the following threads helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298484-i718-k3556…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298484-i718-k5355…

As for the metro - many non-Russian speakers have used it successfully but some say it was too challenging or even impossible for them, so your mileage may vary...

> I do not speak/read Cyrillic

Nobody speaks Cyrillic as there ain't no such language, it's just an alphabet :)

Manila
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

Got me there, Marassa. Should've been "I don't read/speak Cyrillic/Russian" ;p

Thanks for the links - I came across those threads before posting. However the OP was mainly concerned about access/proximity to the expo, whereas I wanted to get a local's opinion on how feasible it was to book at the city center if I was going out to the expo everyday.

Some friends would readily book somewhere other than the "recommended" hotel for their conferences abroad, so I'd like to see if I can do the same in this case from city to expo, considering distance, travel time, and cost. Any thoughts?

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

I am offering this opinion advice as someone who a) LOVES taking the Metro (the term "abuse" comes to mind!), and b) speaks Russian fluently.

The Metro can in fact be a bit daunting despite the fact that the various lines have both numbers and colors. I checked the line you would likely take from the Center (in Russian, "Арбатско-Покровская"- dark blue on maps, and #3 I think), and think you will be lucky enough to not have to transfer (this would be the "killer" in my mind as some of the transfers can be quite tricky especially if you hit the Metro at rush hour - you would have a very hard time standing there trying to "read" (well, look for aforementioned colors, numbers!)...the signs and figure out where to go)...

If nothing else, if you had someone take you once - you would be able to repeat this very easily. I might also say to be sure if you do take the Metro (from downtown) make sure you find the closest entrance...often when one descends underground based on the ubiquitous big red "M" for Metro, often there are several stations, and you might end up having to hike a while and potentially get the wrong train...

Also, the route time is shown as 38-40 minutes if you are going from your "Revolution Square" station downtown...but in my experience, the Metro will always trump taking any surface transport...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
983 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

Hi

The Crocus Exhibition Centre has a new metro station, opened in Dec 2009.

This is Myakinino Metro Station, on Line 3 (the purple line). So, it is easy to get to and from Crocus by Metro. It will cost you about ONE DOLLAR equivalent for each ride. 1700 rubles transfer is I think, probably as best it gets.

To be in the centre, I would suggest you go 9 stops to Arbatskaya on Line 3, no change required. This is an interchange station- 4 lines and many exits in all directions including Aleksandrovsky Sad Station (Alexander Garden, rather large, pleasant, which runs along one outside wall of the Kremlin).

I would suggest hotel in the vicinity of Arbartskaya Metro Station. One Hotel is Courtyard by Marriott. Another is Arbat Hotel (get off at Smolenskaya for this – this may be more simple as it is a single station).

From Arbatskaya, to the Bolshoi, it is 1 stop more on Line 3 to Ploschad Revolutsi which interchanges with Teatralnaya (theatre stop). OR you can walk this.

Some links......

besthotelseurope.net/hotel_Arbat-Hotel/mosco…

www.president-hotel.ru/arbat/index/lang/en

marriott.com/hotels/…

So really, I am suggesting that if you confine yourself to Metro Line 3. It may work for you, especially with the location of Myakinino Metro Station.

Here is a Metro Map.

http://www.expat.ru/metromap.php

Another. Myakinino Metro Station. Line 3 on the Left. 3rd stop from the end.

www.artlebedev.com/everything/metro/map/

DCtheKiwi

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

I can only add that if you are going to take the metro from the center (your hotel) to the outskirts (Crocus City) in the morning and go back in the evening, you will be going against the rush hour current, so the trains you take are not going to be crowded at all, so it will even be comfortable. All in all, I'd take this option.

Manila
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

Thank you so much for all your help! This is great news as I now know there are other options for accommodations as well as some tips on the Metro. :) Quite excited about seeing Russia for the first time. Cheers!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

You can google Moscow metro maps in both English & Russian. You will buy your ticket at a little booth before you get on the metro. Buy enough to pay for all of your trips via the metro the first time you are going to use the metro. Example, if one trip is 1 dollar, and you will need to use the merto 10 times, pay 10 dollars so you will not have to pay each time before you go through the turn styles. Your ticket slides into to a slot located on the front of the turn style, it passes through to the other side of the turn style. So put in ticket, walk through turn style, grab ticket & get on metro. If you hold up 8 or 10 fingers at the woman in the booth, she will know what you want. Count your stops to your station exit before you get on, and exit at that stop. There will be a big map on the wall behind each train/platform. It's not to hard if you plan a little. By taking the express trains from the airports, and then using the metro, you will save a huge amount of cash. You will be able to fly around Moscow, see sites, get back to your hotel, and have a great time. The Moscow metro (to me anyway), is an experiance not to be missed. Warning, stay away from the metro at rush hour times, really bad. Good luck. AIM.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

Slight correction...no longer does ticket slide into slot...you hold it to a small circle, and the system has been upgraded to show immediately remaining trips- pretty handy that way you do not have to keep track...but, in summary, previous commentor dead bang on as to how simple this all is!

And, of course, you pay in rubles and think if you get 10-20 "rides" worth, the price is about 24-25 rubles per trip (a wee bit under $1...)

9. Re: Crocus Expo & Moscow hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2011, 07:16