We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

I have a flight that arrives 12:30 and then leaves at 21:20 on a Saturday. During this time I would like to leave the airport and visit a site (ie. Kremlin, Red Square) and have dinner before the exiting flight. However, it seems that there is no direct Metro and car travel could take a long time. I'm looking for other traveler's suggestions on my bestr options without threat of missing my evening flight. Thoughts???

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

There are express trains that leave SVO and I believe the other 2 airports every 30 minutes, and take about 30-35 minutes that will deposit you at a Metro station that should not be more than 20 minutes from Downtown Moscow (Red Square)...and of course these run every few minutes...

So, am pretty sure you could technically pull this off...BUT, how fast you can clear customs, etc is a whole other issue...assume you would have a visa? Or, are you already in the country and just hopping around?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

Here is the AeroExpress Train link.

http://aeroexpress.ru/en/index.htm#

Of course, doing this means you need a visa. Do you have this?

This is your way to get into Moscow. Takes you to Belorussky Station, which is also a metro station. From here you can walk down Tverskaya (or metro) to Red Square vicinity.

Realistically, you only have a 4 hour window, from arriving there at 1430??hrs and leaving there to return at 1830??hrs. Don't know about a leisurely meal.

Maybe getting back to Sheremetyevo in good time is the priority. Combination of moving fast and fast food required.

If you baggage is forwarded on, then you can do this

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

Thank you for the info and the vote of confidence that we can pull this off. I understand that I'll need the Transit Visa. I also understand that it will be a race against time, but in the end it will be worth. I assume the train tickets can be purchased at some form of kiosk so that I can avoid exchanging money for such a short visit.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

I believe the Aeroexpress train (from airport to the "ring" Metro station (here, Byeolrusskaya) can be purchased at a kiosk...BUT, while I assume they take credit cards, sometimes "American" credit cards do not quite work as expected...

HOWEVER, unless I am missing something, I have not noticed kiosks in Metro stations to buy the card to ride on the Metro - and/or that you could use "plastic"...(that is, the "ticket" you get to ride the Aeroexpress has nothing to do with the Metro)...

Bottom line...I would simply plan to get a handful of rubles using your ATM card at one of many ATMs at the airport...the rates are not that bad, and in any event, all you will need for the Metro is enough to cover a couple of rides (23-24 rubles each per person)....just be sure you let your bank know you may be using your card in Russia...presumably, you would have generally altered them with regard to credit card usage abroad, so just add the ATM card ...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

The air train appears to sell a combo train+subway ticket which will save time. As you exit the train station in the city you take the metro green line immediately to your left. From there it is a straight shot to Teatralnaya station.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

MSHouse

Have a look at this link.

You can your AeroExpress tickets on line for the day in question

http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/index.htm#

300 rubles per ticket (USD10). Pay by C/C

Do this, then one less thing to worry about..

Just a thought. You could have a coffee and snack at a cafe in the old GUM department store at Red WSquare as you people watch

DCtheKiwi

7. Re: Moscow Forum: Sheremetyevo Airport nearby sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 05:18