We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

Always changing
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

Im a UK citizen, currently traveling in China and planning to fly into Moscow and hitchhike south into Georgia and Turkey. I was originally trying to get a tourist visa in Beijing but everything Ive read seems too confusing and especially I just read that it might not be possible to attain a tourist visa outside of my own country!

So my question is,

Is it possible to get a 3+ day transit visa to hitchhike? If so how?

Or how can I get a tourist visa from Beijing as a UK citizen?

Thanks,

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

You need to consult your russian embassy in beijing...

Always changing
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

Ive tried calling them like 20 times, either the line is busy or they put me on hold for 10 minutes and then cut me off... you know how these places are :( will try again several times tomorrow but... if anyone has any advice otherwise please let me know. Am getting desperate for time now as well :'(

Thanks.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

Yes sounds like them all right. You may have to go there in person. There may be visa "facilitation" agencies around which have insider access to the consulate.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

Smint03,

Is that what you going to tell them in the embassy …that you will hitchhike from, say RU capital down to south, through the troubled region of Caucasus where roads are unsafe, people are commonly robbed, or even kidnapped or even worse….@@@????####!!!! And will cross over to Georgia – the hostile country to Russia as of now. Not sure if Russia-Georgian border is really open for regular traffic. I guess they will laugh their pants off while listening to you… But good luck anyway… IMHO: the last thing they need is an English dude browsing the world who apparently cannot afford a train/air fare and thus goes hitchhiking through the RU region engulfed, in effect, in a civil war… Let us all know how that visa application goes…, please.

Edited: 27 September 2010, 22:11
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

Documentary/Mockumentary/Reality TV?

More funny than the Moscow Mayoralty!

Edited: 29 September 2010, 10:30
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

apprentice... you should rename to apprenticeitreal... i like your style... good to see someone else for a change has a sense of humour on here... but a serious question... how much should we tip him for providing impromptu comedy? or would it be considered cheap not to? Oh... even better.. arrange for a militia tour guide for the trip! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

I’ll think about my name alteration, KepinItReal , thnx… In fact, it is a good thing that once in a while such ingenuously candid visitors provide us with light fun and reality check. RU is often a terra incognito to its own dwellers, leave alone dudes as myself (pretending to be a self-proclaimed expert for that matter…:))) ) Thus such straight inquiries let us visit the topics that would not come otherwise….

Always changing
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

Well obviously I would not tell them I plan to hitchhike... And please excuse me for expecting an embassy to be somewhat professional in a matter like this.. But actually I have tried to call the visa enquiries and embassy phone numbers dozens of times and every time I either get a busy message, or talk to some idiot who literally knows nothing, or I get put on hold and then cut off... I thought I was getting somewhere when I talked to a pretty decent seeming guy who took down my number and said he would call back after he had looked into the situation but of course he never called back....

So screw that, new question. How are the the Visa services for Russian visas? Are any recommended??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

<<Well obviously I would not tell them I plan to hitchhike..>>

What you have to tell them is the cities you plan to visit & hotels(accomodations) to stay for the visa period. You may trick them by paying for hotels just to get invitation(s) and cancelling payments subsequently. Or going through an agency. But…. If one is really serious about hitchhiking through the Caucasus region into Georgia then I suspect he belongs to A) the ranks of skilled spies B) a mental institution. Suggest that you do your homework first and get relevant info before planning such idiocy.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa troubles, can I get a transit visa to hitchhike??

Smint03, I think I would like to take a crack at an answer. We had 3 American nationals imprisoned in Iran being accused of being spies. One was just recently released due to medical reasons after a year and a half. The other two may die over there for all we know. This regions of Russia that you are wishing explore carry similar dangers. Do not expect the same legal rights that you have at home, nor a fair trial as you will be crossing hostile borders, perhaps by accident. Even if you don't cross the borders they may still grab you for political reasons. I'd say you can fly to Turkey and be relatively safe as a Brit, but any of the Russian borders may hold adventures which you may not enjoy. Please be safe, and while I enjoy a good adventure i simply have too much to stay alive for. Good luck.