We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

JAkarta
2 posts
Save Topic
Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

I've asked the travel agent here in Jakarta about getting the visa and they said I will need hotel confirmation in russian language.

I planned to book the hotels in moscow for 2 nights and 3 night in st. petersburg through internet, also I might want to stay 1 night at suzdal but still not sure.

What's the best way to get the visa for my situation?

Thank you

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
984 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

Hi

Here is the info from the embassy in Jakarta.

http://jakarta.rusembassy.org/rusvisa.html

Look at Tourist Visa and point no.5.

Way To Russia website is good.There are many like this.

They will provide this to you online then you put in with your application.

Specify places that you intend visiting. They will put some Hotel names on the document (but you make your own bookings where you choose price etc). It is issued by official agency.

When the visa is issued doesn't have any hotel details, just dates of entering and leaving Russia

If it sounds funny, don't worry. It is, but it works. People do this rather than looking for hotels to issue invitations which isn't always easy.

There are many successful stories about this on the forum.

So, you need a Inviataion/Visa support document. You can get it from WayToRussia. Not expensive. Then put in your application to embassy asap (3 months before?). Then you can calmly plan the detail.

Good Luck

DCtheKiwi

Edited: 14 October 2010, 10:11
JAkarta
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

Thank you Acedog,

I've talked to the travel agent and they will get back to me if the invitation only without the hotel confirmation is enough.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
984 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

Hi

There are examples of the documents on this page.

www.waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Types.html

There are 2. ie Tourist Voucher and Reservayion Confirmation.

The confirmation has names of hotels at the places you said you would visit. But it doesn't mean a thing. You make your own choices.

The important point is that it is issued not by WayToRussia, but by an offiicial registered Tour Company which makes it official - and when you get visa only has dates of entering/leaving Russia.

Hope that helps

DCtheKiwi

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,098 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

Russian embassy in JKT - jl. H. R Rasuna Said kav. x-7, No 1-2.\tel - 522-51-95 (consulate)

<<if the invitation only without the hotel confirmation is enough.>>

1/ No enough. You need confirmed and PAID hotel voucher for every hotel on your stay.

2/ Invitation from your hotel ( a different document), from every hotel.

3/ valid passport ( min 6 month since the date of travel)

4/ copy of air tickets.

5/ filled in questionnaire.

6/ Or contact Sejati Tours. They know how to deal with such matters

Sejati Tour & Travel

Jl Kemang Raya No 15, Lt 4

Jakarta Selatan - Indonesia

Tel: +6221 719 4002 Fax : +6221 719 2128

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
984 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

Hi

What Schonefeld is doing is telling you what he does. It works for him.

Strictly he is doing it correctly according to regulation BUT many members of the forum do otherwise, quite successfully.

This has been discussed many times in the Russian TA forums.

I have done it by the book ie 3 cities, 3 bookings, 3 pre-paid, 3 invitations, then in 2008 3 cities and one invitation issued by an approved / registered provider.

SO……

<<1/ Not enough. You need confirmed and PAID hotel voucher for every hotel on your stay.>> NOT CORRECT

<<2/ Invitation from your hotel (a different document), from every hotel.>> NOT CORRECT.

Not convinced? In this forum we have been able to enjoy the travel adventure of the Australian couple who travelled from Vladivostok to St Petersburg in 2010. Maybe they had 10 stops.

They had one invitation each for their visas. They did that after discussing options is this forum. Why would they bother with 10 invitations for each of them, all fixed dates and no flexibility? And they had no trouble at all re visa and were able to register as/when required.

In the US, Russian Embassy in NY has links to an agency providing visa support. Hotel information not required from the client.

http://newyork.rusembassy.org/

Another provider is specified for the US.

www.ruscon.org/visa_dep_ENG.html#touristvisa

<<To receive a Russian visa invitation and voucher, you will have to contact a travel agency that is recognized my the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, RussianConsulate.org currently is working through Express to Russia.>>

Again, names of hotels not necessary. No pre-payment.

I can’t think of any reason why the Consulate in Indonesia would find the prescribed documentation generated, as unacceptable.

DCtheKIwi

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,098 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

<<adventure of the Australian couple who travelled from Vladivostok to St Petersburg in 2010. Maybe they had 10 stops..>>

The Oz couple could do it legally if the march rout with all those stops was mentioned in their visa. Otherwise is still possible, but illegal.....yet Russian authorities are prone to corruption.

May be....there are some ways to curve the prescribed way of obtaining the Russian visa, but........I worked for the Russian consulate in JKT and know the process from inside, and how RU consulates deal with forgeries and fakes in the case.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

>... if the march rout with all those stops was mentioned in their visa...

Makes me wonder whether you have ever actually seen a Russian visa:

…visahq.com/information/…Russia-visa.jpg

Where do you suppose 'the march rout with all those stops' might be mentioned here?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

I think, Marassa, that the poster probably meant "on the visa application".Of course, the visa itself is just like the visa to anywhere else... a stamped page in your passport. But it's getting that stamp that requires you to jump through hoops as far as pre-planning where you're travelling and where you're sleeping... in other words, the notorious Letter of Invitation.

While the WaytoRussia mocked-up invitations are, apparently, generally quite serviceable, they are, nonetheless, false; what's more, they're by no means cheap, when you consider that the letter is really worth nothing. We found ourselves a travel agent on the net, based in St Petersburg, and asked him to negotiate a couple of hotels for us at each end of our trip. He sent along the letter of invitation quite readily, and no charge was imposed. It was in Russian and English, and it immediately satisfied the consulate people, who browsed through it and accepted my application without demur. After that, no one ever looked at it.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

> I think, Marassa, that the poster probably meant "on the visa application".

I wouldn't worry about that. First, the visa application with all 'supporting documents' is buried somewhere in the archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and I can see no practical way for a policeman or whoever might check your documents once in Russia to access these documents. Second, since when is it illegal to change one's plans? Yes, when I applied for the visa, I had one plan, then it changed. Does changing my plans make me a criminal? What article of what penal code applies here?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,098 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa Confusion - Hotel booked through internet

Through the years, Marassa, I understand that my every appearance on Moscow forum brings you a lot of unhappiness and discomfort, but..... that`s your personal problem.

But,,,,,,,,

The link you provided is of visa issued back to 2006, the current look is different. And I personally with my own hand issued hundreds of them, so BELIEVE me i know what must be mentioned and where, all places of visit during your stay are reflected in the physical piece of paper that is attached to your passport.