We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aeroflot Seat Assigments

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Aeroflot Seat Assigments

I recently purchased two tickets on Aeroflot (through the internet website Orbitz) for a roundtrip flight from JFK to Moscow. After purchasing the tickets, I called Aeroflot to try to get seat assignments. To my surprise, I was told that I cannot reserve a seat until I check-in at the airport. I'm not a good flyer and very much want a window seat -- I aslo want to make sure that my wife and I sit together. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,626 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

I have successfully used Aeroflot's own web site to purchase tickets AND pick seats at the same time. But it doesn't seem to work if you buy elsewhere...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

Come to the airport early

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

Agreed. Go to the airport very early. Sorry to disaapoint but seat reservations cannot seem to be done in the US or Canada. We tried calling the main US office, emailed, left messages, even tried faxing, tried getting it done via their office in Moscow, nothing happened. For some reason, Aeroflot won't do it if you buy the ticket outside of Russia.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

Based on my experience, and as noted, you are ok (only?) if you bought the ticket thru the Aeroflot site...

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

@Ebertsj, I am not really sure as I had not bought a ticket on the website for a flight originating in the US. I do know that even using agents in the US and Canada, they could not pre book our seats. However, I have bought a ticket from the Aeroflot website before to originate a flight from Moscow and choosing the seats worked online.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

Redstorm1,

This happens often if you buy tickets through the reseller. Last summer we had four Virgin Atlantic and BMI tickets to Moscow with no seats until 2 hours before the flight. They would not even let you get your seats 24 hr beforehand. Fortunately we had all seats together assigned just before the boarding at the counter. This was annoying but the price was worth it. btw, have you tried to go on the Aeroflot own site and price your tickets. Sometimes they have VERY low prices. Good luck.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

If yoiu buy from Aeroflot directly you can assign a seat. Otherwise, 24 hrs before departure try internet-check-in, if it works from JFK. If not - come to check-in early.

New York
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

I bought my tickets directly on Aeroflot web site, and when I clicked "Select Your Seats" link at the end of the process, it said seat maps were not available. When I called Aeroflot and they looked up my reservation, they told me that the fare I booked was not eligible for advance seat selection.

So it looks like if you book a discount fare (booking class W or L, maybe some others), you won't be able to select seats in advance, regardless of how you booked it.

Palm Springs
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

I have got my tix last summer thru Orbitz.

Then I went to Aeroflot website and found my reservation and was able to assign myself a seat.

But I am a Aeroflot Bonus member, so I found this ressie only after logging in...

There's also limited online registration 24 hrs prior... list of cities is limited though (((

Edited: 16 January 2011, 23:03
Lyon, France
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Aeroflot Seat Assigments

I am also an Aeroflot Bonus member but I am unable to locate the link you just mentioned.

Could you please let us know how to access the "select a seat" feature ?

Best regards