We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living cost in Moscow

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Living cost in Moscow

Hi guys,

I am probably going for summer internship in Moscow, but I am worried with the living cost there, so it would be great if some of you could give me roughly breakdown of the living cost there.

My main question is:

how much like 1 lt or milk, 1 pack of toast bread, 1 bottle of local beer, etc (the cheapest) in the supermarket

and how much for 1 normal meal

also how about 1 bedroom apartment there (just in case i couldnt get student housing).

thanks in advance guys

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living cost in Moscow

Click around this site for food prices. It is in russian but pretty self explanatory

http://www.utkonos.ru/cat/1/

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living cost in Moscow

A very large (.75L?) can of Russian beer was 20R in the stores when I was there in 2004. That is the only price I paid attention to. :>)

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Living cost in Moscow

Thanks Vladchan or the info.

was wondering if this supermarket is the most common 1 in Moskow like Carrefour in the France or the cheapest 1 like Aldi / Lidl in Germany?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living cost in Moscow

utkonos, is an on-line food delivery service

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living cost in Moscow

Auchan or Ашан (Huge low cost hypermarkets on the outskirts of the city)

Перекресток (Fairly large stores of economy class)

Пятерочка (Small Economy Class shops)

Квартал (also)

I prefer go to Auchan once a week.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Living cost in Moscow

Thanks Traclball,

Auchan france? I think its quite good supermarket also.

I read articles that Moscow is 1 of the most expensive city in Europe, is that true? is it more expensive than Stockholm?

From the utkonos site that Vladchan gave me, it is more expensive than in Holland or Germany, as milk costs +-€1.15 in Moscow whilst in Germany only €0.60-0.80 (already in the expensive supermarket)

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living cost in Moscow

you'll need a car to use Auchans which are the fr chain, yes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Living cost in Moscow

It is pretty manageable if you get along with very basic set of food, basics, et al…. It goes up very quickly as you seek for quality goods / services. Thus cost of a basic Western European consumer basket of acceptable (by EU standards) quality would be likely up up into the stratosphere. That’s where all stories of high living cost coming from. Therefore, prepare yourself for a simple and plain life, say couple months of Spartan adventure, and you’re gonna be fine. Worry not. Waste no time of food price lookup, there will be plenty of various choices.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Living cost in Moscow

You might want to do produce shopping in street markets, instead of grocery stores (fruit, butter, grains, etc). It will help the budget.

Housing in center - that will be expensive!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Living cost in Moscow

There are permanent farmer markets in the city at the designated areas that are fully equipped to function around the year, 7 days a week. They are high end spots in food supply with produce of natural / organic type or close to that standards. With appropriate prices… And presumably some sanitary control.

The other type is random spots around metro stations where old ladies(babushkas) sell some greenery produce during summer-autumn. The latter ones you want to consider to get some bargains for your money, not the former. Obviously no sanitary control exists with babushka’ produce, - just common sense, your own judgment & luck. Hope that helps.