We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

Perth
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

I am travelling to Moscow for a week, and would hope to bring an iPhone 3GS (unlocked) for voice and data access.

Is there a prepaid plan available for both voice and data? Ideally data on 3G?

Price is not a big issue, as I will need about 1 Gb of data and a fair few phone calls back to Australia.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

For sure you can get "voice", pre-paid SIM cards- I do this all the time...not sure about the data...they are also easily "topped up" at any of about a gazillion "ATM" type machines...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

This q often pops up on the NYC board and it sounds like marrying an IPhone to a different data network is doable but not easily.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

Thanks for the responses so far. How about data only USB dongle?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

I suggest you bring yourself and your phone to a shop which sells cell phones, they'll hopefully figure out how to make it all work.

Otherwise, I was using a Wimax USB dongle with good results.

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

tariffs

http://www.vis.mtsgsm.com/tariffs/

HOW TO PAY

http://www.vis.mtsgsm.com/payment/

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

Each of 3 major operators have what you need - MTS (red logo)? Beeline (yellow-black) and Megafon (green). All of them have appropriate sites with logical names, with English pages. Enjoy and choose for yourself.

Brighton, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

Cab someone explain about this ' «All you need» option = 300 min + Unlimited SMS and MMS + Unlimited Internet' option as shown here :-

vis.mtsgsm.com/tariffs/maxi/maxi_plus_dir/

Am I able to pay for just 1 months worth before I visit Moscow and can I obtain a SIM card proir to visiting ??

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

On second point, while one maybe "could" get such a card before visiting, one would likely pay an arm and a leg (or at least a hand and a foot!) if one tries to "buy here" as you would be buying from a 'Western" supplier at much inflated costs...I have always found it very easy to get these once in Russia...heck, you will pass by at least 2 VERY modern "cell phone" stores as you walk thru the terminal...I personally use Evroset as they cover "all" brands, but you could I guess find a "proprietary" store for any of the larger providers...MTS, Megaphone, or Beeline

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

This is a prepaid plan so yes you can get 1 month's worth but I don't see how you can get it before visiting, or why?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Prepaid SIM for Voice and (3G) data?

Yes I agree with above. You can get all you need at the airport when you arrive. With in minutes you could be up and running. I know at SVO there are many places to get Beeline & so on. AIM.