We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

I'll be in Moscow for a few days as I tour around a few places in Russia. I am going to use hotel points thus am confined to Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt properties. Interested in your opinion on which is/are the best options to be in a central area for exploring during day and central location for bars at night. I am a single 39 year old guy and going to explore during day and party lots at night. Not as concerned about all the hotel perks as I am location. Looking at Arat Hyatt, Marriott Royal Aurora, Marriott Courtyard City Center, Hilton Leningradskaya, Moscow Marriott Grand, etc.

I'd appreciate any input you may have to help me select. Thank you VERY MUCH!

Budapest
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

All the hotels you mentioned apart from Hilton Leningradskaya - are situated right in the city center of Moscow...Marriott Tverskaya and Marriott Grand - are right on Tverskaya street - one of the main streets of Moscow - with lots of restaurants, bars and clubs there...Ararat is close to the Theater Square and near Bolshoi Theater - that is also very close to Red Square and Tverskaya. Marriott Courtyard is located in the nice area near the Kremlin and Red Square. And Marriott Aurora is located on one of the old central streets of Moscow - Petrovka street near fashionable shops and design studios.

Hilton is also close to the center but is is right near the railway station, so nothing within the walking distance, you'd have to take a cab or use a metro to get anywhere...

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

I always use Marriott points for annual trips to Moscow, and have stayed at 2 Marriott properties- the Courtyard and the Renaissance (not great location). I also have a boatload of Hilton points, but find the location not so great, and have gotten together with friends staying at the others.

As the previous responder noted, the Marriotts (with the exception of the Renaissance mentioned above) are right downtown -2 (Grand is one) right on one of the "main drag"- Tverskaya, Aurora is a wee bit of this same main drag, and closer to the Kremlin, Bolshoi, etc...but not too many wild and crazy parties at either of these venues...

Being more "mature" (Ok, older!) and not so much into bars, lately have settled on Courtyard as it is a) tucked away into a fairly quiet neighborhood about 3 blocks off the same main drag, b) has free wireless in the lobby (which one can't get in the larger Marriott hotels), and c) is generally more "intimate". From what you write, sounds like you would be better off at one of the "real" hotels, with a lot more hustle and bustle, people coming and going, etc.

Overall, I will say you can't go too wrong at any of the Marriotts...

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

Marriott Grand is in a good spot. The Marriott Tverskaya is also, but 6-7 blocks further from Red Square. There will be more to do at the Grand than Tverskaya also. I have no personal experience with the others.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

Thanks for the great info. Sounds like the Hilton and Hyatt are too much off the beat & path for me. Tough to decifer whether Royal Aurora, Grand, Tverskaya or Courtyard is a better bet for me. I don't stick around hotel to eat, drink, etc. Only sleep. But I do want to be close to the action for walking around during day and boozing it up at night. I don't have to be across the road from where I'm going but just want to be in the right section of town. It's like when I go to London, I stay in the West End near Piccadilly rather than getting a room in Chelsea and hoofing it whenever I want to go somewhere. And in NYC I prefer somewhere like midtown Manhattan so short distance from anything. I'm sure you get my drift...... I want to be able to walk out of my hotel day or night and within say a 10-15 minute walk, I can find something interesting to see, eat, etc. And I want to be a reasonable cab ride from key sights.

I'll keep digging around tonight. Tough to find a map that shows all these hotels vis-a-vis key sights / neighborhoods. If any of you have additional thoughts, I'd welcome them. Otherwise, I will just roll the dice and pick once of these.

Thanks! You guys are great. This is why I am on Tripadvisor!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

Based on further info. here, I don't see how you could go wrong with the Grand, Aurora, or Courtyard...

As for getting around, I advise you try to get comfortable with the idea of using the Metro to get around...pretty much everything is within 10 minutes walking distance of a Metro station (as an example, most the time when you get an address/location for something, the first thing you see is "near Metro XXX". Cabs can be pricey if you don't speak Russian, and also, cars are simply often NOT the fastest way to get around due to traffic, etc...

I would have to check, but thought the Marriott web site (with hotel details, etc) actually did show a map of locations, etc...including giving you an idea of local attractions...

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

The Marriott Grand is right in the middle of this screen. The street that it is on is Tverskaya. It leads to Red Square if you scroll down. Tverskaya has many nice places to eat as well as high-end shopping etc.. Many of the side streets have fun little bars etc.. The Marriott Grand is very close to the American Bar and grill which is like a british style pub, and there is (was) a good Japanese place next door. The Starlight Diner is also close by, as is Il Patio (My favorite hangout).. Drag the screen or scroll in or out as you like. The Marriott Tverskaya is on the same street about 6-7 blocks up. You can also use the search in the top right to locate other hotels.

wikimapia.org/…20moscow

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

Thank you VERY much! Contributors like you are why Tripadvisor is my favorite travel site. For my first 30 countries traveled, TA was not around so I had to rely on books with varied success. For the last 20 or so, TA has been my best resource and has made many memorable trips!

Thanks again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

I went ahead and booked the Marriott Grand based on your suggestions. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

So I am all set in Moscow for the first few days of my holiday when I will be staying at the Marriott Grand. Then I am off to some other places then return to Moscow by train from St Pete the afternoon before I leave for the USA. So I do need a good place to stay on my final night. While it would be easy to stay at the Marriott Grand again, I'd rather stay somewhere much less costly since I will only require a hotel from about 7pm to 7am. Any suggestions of a good place. Again, not too far off the beat & path since it would be nice to roam around during my final night in Moscow. But somewhere clean, comfy, relatively close to airport transport (is there a train to the airport?) and somewhere that would be willing to give me the letter required for my visa application.

Thanks again!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

> relatively close to airport transport

Which airport out of the three?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt for Single Guy?

Thank you. I will depart out of Moscow (DME - Domodedovo Intl) the following morning on a 10:40am flight. But no need to necessarily be close to the airport. Probably better to be in town so I can stroll around on my final night. Perhaps relatively close to train station as I will be arriving by train from St Petersburg that evening. But I am flexible......

Thank you.