We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent Hotel - Moscow

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Decent Hotel - Moscow

Could anybody please recommend a hotel suitable for two young ladies going to Moscow for 4 days in August. We would like to stay in a safe area which is easy to get to in terms of sightseeing etc.

Any suggestions welcome - no need for luxury - around 3 star would suit as long as transport etc connections are good.

Thanks

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

I believe the Holiday Inns are reasonably priced and not luxury...and think have gotten OK reviews here. Note that unless you pick a place WAY out from the City Center, most hotels worth staying in would be within easy walking distance of Metro (heck, almost EVERYTHING is!), which you should plan to use for getting around...

Re: safety, most of these would be in safer place, but overall, while others have fretted about safety, the best thing to do is to follow the same rules you would anywhere (in any big city)...stick to more "populated" places, avoid going into dark alleys, do not flash wads of cash, keep wallets/purse in safe place, etc...

Asia
Level Contributor
30 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

I did stay at a holiday inn, opp a metro, very convenient, and really Moscow is rather safe. There's a McDonald's right next to the hotel (great for free internet and breakfast), and a number of convenience stores selling snacks and mineral water....Also a park nearby where lots of locals go for a walk, dance etc.. Rather residential and not complicated.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

All our American partners choose only one hotel: Holiday Inn (Lesnaya street). They have stayed at Radisson Ukraine, Ekaterina (Paveletskaya) and some others but they told us that the best option for them was Holiday Inn.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

If you can fit it in your budget the Marriott Grand is in a nice spot, and gets good reviews. We stayed at the Marriott tverskaya years ago and liked it a lot, but the reviews have slipped lately. The Sheraton is also close by in a good location for tourists. For get cheap and good location in the same sentence.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

I interpeted the ask as not so much is the hotel necessarily in the heart of things (as stated, forget cheap), but situated such that one could readily get to the "good stuff"...as such, any hotel a little bit out from the center (such as the holiday inns) would be within easy walk of subway, and thus by definition "not far" time wise...

As for the Marriotts, Sheraton, etc, one is easily talking $300-400 a night, easily 2-3 times the Holiday Inn (just to name one)...

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

I found good prices for the expensive Moscow Hotels on 2 different websites:

www.yeego.com

www.alpharooms.com

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

Not sure what you mean by good prices for expensive...I checked this out for the expensive ones indicated about and they are $350-500-800 per night...

There is NO way anyone should expect to get into a place like the Marriotts or Sheraton for lesss than $300-350/night..

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

And then again there's no way I should be able to find a roundtrip flight from the USA to Moscow and return from St Petersburg in August for < $500 but I did that, too.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

I am sorry if I seemed "contentious"...my only point was when I checked a few of the hotels on the site you mentioned and that were suggested previously, they pretty much came in where I indicated - $300-500...so, maybe this is "cheaper", but not less than what I suggested earlier...

By all means, everyone should be creative and get deals like your <$500 flight, I am only trying to provide for realistic expectations, and those in fact are that one should not - and I stress- EXPECT to find prices at "luxury" hotels that is "low"...

10. Re: Decent Hotel - Moscow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 05:17