We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

Due to some changes, and also adding additional info. re seat selection, etc, have updated the guide I did. It is at the following link:

…dropbox.com/u/…208-02-2011.ppt

The good news so far is that it appears quite a few "Western", or at least "US" credit cards are working! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

Here is PDF version...

…dropbox.com/u/…208-02-2011.pdf

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

One additional snafu that I am running into: I make it all the way to select seats, select the seats, and then I click to continue, it makes like it is processing, and I receive the following message after kicking me back to the previous screen:

Невозможно забронировать места в заданных границах

I am stuck here and not sure exactly what it is that is missing or wrong. Thanks for the great resource.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

I just figured it out. I was reading the seat maps in reverse, thinking the seats available were really the seats taken. Thanks again.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

Just when I have resolved one issue, another one surfaces. I ave attempted to use two credit cards thus far and neither one has approved. I even contacted the credit card companies to see if they were rejecting the charges, but they don't even show any attempt as being made. Anyone have any experience with US-issued cards and having processing problems?

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

Aha, yes, the "rub" that we have noted here. At a MINIMUM, if you do not have something like "verified by visa", then unlikely the charge will go thru. I have even tried one of my US CC's with VBV, and it still did not work.

Various inquiries have been made by a number of folks here, and the answers seem to range from "they do not accept US CCs", which is not true based on a number of "successes" to what I mentioned, that is, they "require" an extra layer of security...

And, yes, I too called me CC company in the US, and same answer...we have not even seen anything come thru for approval...

I know this is not a great answer, but this seems to be something that is simply not easily addressed...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

I have followed all the threads, instructions and asked numerous questions. Since tics were about $40 cheaper than 3rd party sites, was intent on purchasing through rzd (or die trying). It was not going to get the best of me.

Spent 1/2 day Sunday trying to buy the tics. You MUST register at Verified by Visa. Of course, you will register a user ID and password. It is this password you will need to finish the tic purchase.

After 2 attempts without Verifed by Visa, called the cc company and they too had seen nothing come through. I registered with Verified by Visa, attempted to purchase the tics and at the very end of the purchase process, a Verfied by Visa screen popped up, it asked for my password, I entered it and voila, my tics got bought!. It really all came down to being registered by Verfied by Visa. Good luck.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

Only warning is I used an existing VBV, entered PW, etc...still did not go thru...BUT, it is encouraging to hear that this does seem to "work"...

Thank you...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

may i ask which card it was that finally worked with the site?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

Well I had a Visa but they did not ask me anything about my card or my account.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New, Improved "How to Buy Tickets via Russian-Language RZD"

issued by which bank?