We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station.

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fortaleza
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train station.

Hi.

I bought a ticket train from St Petersburg to Moscow next Sunday (September 25th). How can I figure out in which station I have to go in St Petersburg and in which station I will arrive in Moscow? The train will leave St Petersburg at 13:30 and arrive in Moscow at 18:00 (С-ПЕТЕР-ГЛ - МОСКВА ОКТ).

Thanks.

Regards,

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train station.

Hi, that is clearly stated on your ticket. :) Your departure station is St. Petersburg is Moscovsky Vokzal, arrival in Moscow - Leningradskiy Vokzal. Enjoy!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train station.

I am hoping our Russian responder has his tongue firmly in his cheek when he said stated clearly stated on the ticket...while it technically is, you have hit one of the very interesting areas of Russia already!

That is, when the ticket says " МОСКВА ОКТ", is means the October Train Station... "you will arrive at the Leningrad..." means you will arrive at the "passenger terminal" Leningradski - part of the larger October station (which also has another terminal called "Yaroslavksi"...but I digress!).

So, the further fun "lingusitic/historical" things are that while St. Petersburg had its name returned (from Leningrad - and one could argue Petrograd also!) a while back, not all references to this have been changed, thus the "Leningrad" name for the station. And, last fun linguistic things in this area is that again, while St. Petersburg got its name back, it is still located in the "Leningrad" Region!

Oh, by the way, when you arrive, you will come out onto the "Komsomolskaya" Square, and from here you can hop on the Metro at the Komsomolskaya Metro station.

The bottom line is this is largely the result of the sweeping changes that occurred in Russia in the 10th century, with many "name changes"...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train station.

> you will arrive at the "passenger terminal" Leningradski - part of the larger October station (which also has another terminal called "Yaroslavksi"...but I digress!)

Sorry but this is not quite true! "Москва Октябрьская" is just a synonym (in the railroad people lingo) for Ленинградский Вокзал. It has nothing to do whatsoever with Yaroslavsky Vokzal even though it's next door.

Those funny railroad people have a special name for Savelovsky Vokzal as well - they call it Москва Бутырская.

Edited: 19 September 2011, 16:38
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train station.

:-))))) Will you stop it, Marassa? :-))) They are not Russian, they will not understand!

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train station.

Marassa is absolutely right - Moscow OKT = equals Leningradsky station. The reasons for this are a long story which which the OP probably doesn't care abt.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train station.

Marassa, I'm afraid you just confuse people. :)

I don't think they need such details.)))

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train station.

My BAD...I started this with the inital commments I made, and by the way, meant to say 20th century...

8. Re: Train station.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 07:17