We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

I have a super short visit to Moscow coming up.

I am staying about 2km north of the Kremlin but don't have much time unfortunately - but of course want to make the most of my time.

I arrive Wednesday, but wont get in until about 4pm, so it will be dark by then. What buildings in the Red Square / Kremlin / St Basil's area will be lit up at night?

I will be trying to get up early enough the next day to get down there to have a look. What time does the Metro start? Is there anything that is open up until a bit later that I can go in and have a look at?

Also, is the Museum of Modern Art worth a look? Is there some other suggestions for areas to look at after dark on a Wednesday?

Also, getting away from hotel bars (unless they're amazing), is there any special places for beer I should check out.

Are there any markets or main shopping streets that I could do some people watching? I'll potentially have a few hours on the Friday morning.

I have a flight from SVO at 3pm on Friday. How long should I arrive before hand? How long should I give myself to get there? Is it better to take a car or train to the airport?

Thanks!

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

4 pm is not so dark now, dark comes close to 7 pm, but most tourist things are lit up.

Kremlin closes quiet early for you, and closed Thirsday.

Metro starts at 5:30 to 5:45.

If your flight is 15:00, take aeroexpress from Belorusskiy at 13:00, having checked-in online. Friday to SVO - surely the train, if you do not have too much luggage.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

Don't worry about short- several folks have considered trying to do something like this with WAY less time (4-8 TOTAL hours!)

So, when exactly are you arriving? Of course, the further out, the less daylight (check any website for daylight hours)...

Assuming it is darker, Red Square is beautifully lit up...

As for people watching, you have not only Red Square, with people coming and going from GUM, the upscale shopping mall, but also, right outside Manezhnaya Square (and also upscale underground shopping mall), Alexander Gardens, and the start of Tverskaya Street...all great for people watching

Exactly where will you be staying? We may be able to literally sketch out your "journey", which if you are only 2 KM out, might include initially "walking" down to Red Square/Kremlin area...

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

I'll be staying at the Moscow Marriott Grand Hotel.

Flight gets into SVO at 1445. I have a car picking me up, but perhaps I should not worry and get the train!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

Wow...that is a very nice, easy, straight-shot "people watching" stroll down Tverskaya to Red Square...

As for transportation, it is also not too bad walk from where the AeroExpress will drop you (at Belorusski Vokzal)...about 1 mile...assuming you do not have a lot of or otherwise "balky" luggage, I think this might work out fine...

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

Oh I should mention that Thursday is a work day and I'll be out in an office deep in the Presnya area.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

Not sure where this fits into the rest of what you are saying. but in any event, no matter where you are within the more central part of Moscow (including Presnya), you are never more than a brief walk (5-10 minutes) to a Metro, and a brief ride (5 minuest) to a station also a brief walk from wherever you want to go...

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

More just a mention than anything. Relevance is minor I guess but added for completeness of my itinerary. :)

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

Try to visit Victory Square to see the Giant Oblisk ,, get off at (park pobedy) victory park ,, also there is the war museum which is amazing . in the same park they have the recently restored Reichstadd moument , This is a must see part of Moscow ,

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

Any recommendations for brutalist Soviet architecture?

Got down to Red Square tonight. Was beautiful - all lit up. Just a shame most of the square was cordoned off due to setting up the light festival.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ultra short stop and want to make the most of it!

Have you been down New Arbat yet? Lots of lovely Soviet tower blocks there, along with some fabulous neon signs (we liked it!).

Also, possibly not most people's idea of a fun time, but we spent an enjoyable hour catching the б (B) trolleybus which does a complete loop around the city centre. You see lots of different types of architecture - including the Seven Sisters, grand old structures and tower blocks - and lots of locals going about their business. And lots of traffic. ;)

If you're going to be in the Presnya area and it's still light when you emerge at the end of your business day, you might like to stroll around the neighbourhood. Patriarshy Ponds is pretty.

…wordpress.com/2011/…

We spent a couple of hours following one of Phoebe Taplin's self-guided walking tours and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's one for the Patriarshy Ponds area (an Architectural Cafe Crawl) but she has many, many fascinating walks of varying durations on her website.

http://phoebetaplin.com/?p=235

Hope you're enjoying Moscow!