We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to spend

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aus
Level Contributor
99 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Time to spend

Hi Gang,

we are transiting Moscow on our way back to Australia in Jan 2012. We will have a 14 hour wait at the airport. Any advice on the best way of spending this time, best duty free buys, best places to eat and drink, ways of amusing ourselves, would be most welcome. (Adult couple & teenage daughter)

Thanks in advance

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to spend

Welcome to Moscow forum!

Things to do: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298484-Activiti…

Places to eat and drink: tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g298484-Moscow_C…

BTW, you do realize you need Russian visas to get out of the airport, don't you?

Edited: 28 October 2011, 09:46
London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to spend

I don't think it will be worth it getting out of the airport. Depending which airport you arrive to, you may spend up to 2 hours getting to central Moscow, and then 2 hours back and you will need to be back at the airport 2 hours before the departure (preferably 3, as it takes ages to go through security and immigration). It will leave you with 5 hours to spare, and you will need to get a visa each to spend this time in the city. The cost of the visa will set you back by around AUD 50 each. Not sure if it is worth it...

There isn't much to do at the airport, but again, it depends which one you will be getting into.

Julia

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to spend

The self-promoting visa agent gives misleading advice as usual and she can't count as well.

First, you can make it to the center and back in 1-1.5 hours one way, depending on the day of week and the time of day.

Second, you don't have to be at the airport 3 hours before the departure. I personally always aim at being there 2 hours in advance, it has happened to me to arrive 1 hour in advance, I'm yet to miss a flight.

So, if you think you can afford the visas, do it by all means!

Edited: 28 October 2011, 10:58
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to spend

Which airport, DME, SVO or VKO?

If you haven't got a visa to enter Russia, then this will obviously limit you too the international side of the airport.

Russian airports don't really seem to understand that the duty free shops are supposed to be cheaper than normal ones

I think you'll find its going a very long and expensive 14 hours.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to spend

There is a thing called a transit visa, FYI.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to spend

If the airport is SVO you can just spend a night in the bonded zone of Novotel Sheremetyevo, have a bed, shower and a good meal. But if you really are interested, you can see some things in Moscow.

Please supply us with flight times and what day of the week you are looking at- we can advise you on what to see.

Of course, you will need a visa, normal or transit, to be obtained in advance.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to spend

Actually you can get transit visas at both DME and SVO not sure about VKO, that said I'm not sure it's worth the expense for just 14 hours.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to spend

You can't get transit visas at any airport. You have to apply for them in advance in the same way as normal visas, you just don't need to provide hotel vouchers, only your tickets.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Time to spend

With respect Marassa, you are wrong in this case there are consular services at both DME and SVO that can issue a transit visa.

Aus
Level Contributor
99 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time to spend

Sorry should have said, we will be at Sheremet'evo airport. I'll give our flight times when I get home from work.