We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

Hey there!

I might be flying through SVO in a few weeks on Aeroflot with an awful 18 hour 35 minute layover.. The only thing that would make this bearable is if I were able to get out and see some things.

I would be flying from Athens, Greece, to Moscow, then on to Los Angeles. As a Canadian I do need a visa to visit Russia, but I was thinking that maybe there is a transit visa or maybe that I do not need one for a visit under 24 hours. This would be amazing... I have always wanted to visit Russia, and this would be a great appetizer to the country! Thanks!

38 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

Yobeekool, it says on their website under baggage restrictions that passengers in economy class are able to bring 1 bag up to 23kg in weight. Under the exceptions, it says that passengers traveling to continental america, with the exception of New York an Washington, can bring 2 bags.

aeroflot.ru/cms/…luggage

I am obviously very aware that New York and Washington are in North America. I wanted to clarify the baggage issue, because it makes no sense to me, but I am really hoping that this is true, because I have 3 suitcases.

Unfortunately I cannot get a visa, as I leave in 17 days, and I cannot send away my passport as I am currently living in Greece, and am a Canadian. If I could get one, there is no question that I would be visiting Moscow on my layover.

Marassa, thank you so much for all of your help. Do you know how I could acquire a VIP pass? I can't find anything about it on the SVO website.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

So, my advise is to get a transit visa and enjoy your brief stay in Moscow. If you don't want to do that, SVO is now not so different from a badly organized airport in Europe or America (but far behind the standards of Incheon, Changi, Hong Kong, etc). Endurable.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 07:17
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

I still fail to see why you can't get in touch with Russian consulate in Athens and inquire about getting a transit visa from them, but it's none of my business of course.

As for access to VIP lounges: check out www.prioritypass.com . Priority Pass cards usualy come along with premium credit cards, have no idea how much it costs otherwise, their site will tell you. Or alternatively you can just walk from lounge to lounge (there are quite a few under different management in D E F terminals) and inquire about a one-time pass.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 07:37
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

Marassa, I've never traveled to a country where I've needed a visa before, so forgive me for being naive.. I didn't realize that I could just go to the consulate to get a visa, I always thought I had to send it away.. I will look in to this, thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

Oh... I just looked at the temperature in Moscow right now.. -25... I don't have winter clothes with me- just a lightish trench coat. I'll probably freeze to death, unless if warms up by about 26 degrees in the next 17 days...

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

Re: temps...this is not exactly unexpected - the only good news is it has been that bad for quite some time now (going on 3 weeks I think)...word to the wise to others reading...not advisable to be that "casual" about low temps in Moscow as some have suggested in other posts on TA...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

I am a uk national and getting a flight from Tehran to London with 22 hour stop in Moscow.

What visa type do I need to leave the airport? Is it the Transit one? Because I'm under the impression transit visa is only if you fly into one airport, and leave from another airport? Can transit visas work if you leave from the same airport?

Edited: 16 February 2012, 21:08
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

or should I get tourist visa?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

You need a transit visa.

Helena, AL
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?

Can you be more specific about the location of the restaurant?

Reply to: 19 hour layover at SVO.. Need a visa to leave the airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted