We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Moscow

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best area to stay in Moscow

Hi

I am travelling to Moscow in June, staying for 4 nights, can anyone advise me which is the best area to stay to see the main sights of Moscow.

Thank you

Pam

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,929 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

For "main sights" the closer to the Kremlin the better, and a metro station should be near for visiting more remote sights conveniently.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

Very often the best places to stay in Moscow do not clash well with traveler`s budget - closer to Kremlin ...more expensive. For the precise hotel recommendations, please state your budget/ room/ night and dates of travel?????

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

I can say for sure that they are lots of absolutely different hotels for every taste and budget close to Kremlin. They are plenty of them really, and opening and opening, like mushrooms :)

Well I love area near Arbat and all that circle of 4 subway lines : Arbatskaya, Alexandrovskiy sad, Bibloteka (Library) and Borovitskaya.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,929 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

> I can say for sure that they are lots of absolutely different hotels for every taste and budget close to Kremlin

Oh really? Give me one under $100 please!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

<<lots of absolutely different hotels for every taste and budget close to Kremlin>>

I would also add my 5 cents of scepticizm to the statement....................

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

>>Oh really? Give me one under $100 please!<<

Ah Marassa, be careful what you wish for...

:)

http://petrovkalofthotelmoscow.com/

Petrovka Loft, ulitsa Petrovka - double room advance booking rate, just checked for a random date in June - $99.79 per night. (Shared bathroom facilities, though, which could be seen as a drawback.) Just squeezes in under budget, I know - and I wouldn't say that it counts as "lots" of available options, but you did only ask for one... It is possible!

:))

To answer the OP's original question, I liked staying in the area near Pushkinskaya/Tverskaya/Chekhovskaya metro (not far from Petrovka Loft, as it happens!). Easy access to public transport, nice area and about 20 minutes' walk from the Kremlin.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

well booking.com and such can give you list of hotels and hostels for desired price and location. I've just checked, yeah, there are still enough budget variants near Kremlin.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

What is your budget? Near city center $400.00 - $600.00 per night unless it's a hostel (maybe). Izmailovo Gamma Delta, (where I stay). $100-150 per night. Google the name, they have English web site and it is near the metro. AIM.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

So, of course, can't resist...allow me to re-translate the comment

<<lots of absolutely different hotels for every taste and budget close to Kremlin>>

Anything less than $200 will for sure be below your "taste"...so, I guess technically as long as you have "poor" taste, yes, there will be a room for you at the inn!

As for Gamma Delta, this is NOT close to the center...regardless of the idea of "just hop on the subway". Also, since you did not indicate your budget limits, I would trade off location for an extra $100 a day any time (assuming not staying for weeks!).

Finally, not true $400-600. I believe you can find a very reasonable, nice room (reasonable taste) in the $250-300 range nearby...hostels are not a "maybe" at this price range- they would as you would expect fetch a much lower price - but back to tastes and budget...

So, help us poor well-meaning "advisors" out and provide some further info. on budget, and maybe who you are...kind of tourist, ability to get around, etc...

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay in Moscow

Regarding the present political situation - I would not advise the area of Pushkin square with constant meetings with unpredictable finale... Of cheaper options - try to look for the Budapest, a stone's throw from the Bolshoy theatre and other main attractions like Red square and the Kremlin. The National, Marriott Aurora or Metropole - closer, with higher price tag - then moving to Ararat Hyatt and Ritz Carlton.