We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ossie
Level Contributor
57 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

I am attempting to travel on the Trans Siberian from Beijing to Moscow in June and wonder if anyone can tell me the cheapest way to then get to Budapest thereafter. Fly, train, bus whatever?? I just cannot get a lead on which way to go. I have never seen Hungary and was looking forward to seeing it on this trip. The TA community have always come to my rescue when I get stumped. Can you please help on this occasion??

Thank you in advance.

Doesn't even have to be Budapest, just a way of commuting to Hungary primarily. With thanks.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

Have a look at www.skyscanner.net for flights to Budapest - I picked a random date in June and came up with fares from 108 euros (not direct, but with one stop of varying duration). Air Berlin has fares around 130 euros and is a full service, reliable airline.

I'm sorry, I don't have time at the moment to battle with the official Russian Railways website (rzd.ru - which of course is in Russian!) but a quick glance at the Real Russia agency website shows 2nd class train tickets for the journey at around 160 euros. Allowing for the agency markup, I would say that you'd probably still be looking at the same kind of price as if you flew.

You can check prices on the RZD site yourself using this guide developed by Ebertsj, but bookings only open 45 days in advance of travel dates - so try using a dummy date in the near-ish future to work out prices.

…dropbox.com/u/…208-02-2011.pdf

Flying will be a lot quicker than catching the train, that's certain - the rail journey will take around 35 to 40 hours, whilst you could do the flight in around six to seven hours (plus allow time to get to and from the airport, of course!).

Edited: 24 March 2012, 21:25
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

Can't see much of Hungary on a plane? It's worth the effort. I hate the hassle of airports also. AIM.

Ossie
Level Contributor
57 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

Thanks Halwimsey, I owe you. KN

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

If taking a train Moscow to Budapest, check if you need a visa to Ukraine, as the train transits there.

Ossie
Level Contributor
57 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

I am thinking of flying, but have run into a brick wall with exactly that.........the question of visas. I would have to transit through Kiev and there is a 3 hour layover to flight to Budapest. Does this mean I need a visa?? or Transit Visa?? Thinking I may have to write to Consul for clarification.

Has anyone the facts on whether a visa is required??

With thanks.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,929 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

> I would have to transit through Kiev

Why would you HAVE to do that?

> there is a 3 hour layover to flight to Budapest. Does this mean I need a visa?? or Transit Visa?? Thinking I may have to write to Consul for clarification.

Consul of which country in which country? Ask this question in the Kiev forum if I may suggest. If you really HAVE to transit through Kiev, that is.

Ossie
Level Contributor
57 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

Kiev being in the Urkaine and where I would need to have a visa for(if required) Am going to write to Ukraine Consul in Canberra Aust. for answers Marassa.

Why would I have to transit through Kiev.?.....because it's the only way I can find to get to Budapest.

Is there another direct flight I can take??

Do you have any other suggestions?

K

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,929 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

> Am going to write to Ukraine Consul in Canberra Aust. for answers Marassa

And I repeat my suggestion that you ask your question in the Kiev forum to get faster reply.

> it's the only way I can find to get to Budapest

It only means you did not look very hard ;)

> Is there another direct flight I can take??

Of course there are direct flights from Moscow to Budapest by Aeroflot at least.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 14:23
NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

I saw loads of flights when I looked at Skyscanner that, although having one stop, wouldn't take you via Ukraine. Of course, I don't know your date of travel but for the dummy date I used, flights with Air Berlin, Air Baltic and Germanwings were not much more expensive than the Aerosvit flight via Kiev and took a similar amount of time or less (less than 8 hours all up).

If it were me, I'd go with the Air Berlin flight, transiting through Berlin - no extra cost for luggage and full service on board. And it was only around 10 euros dearer than flying via Kiev.

On which date are you travelling?

10. Re: How to get from Moscow to Budapest???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2012, 08:08