We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa from India

jaipur
Level Contributor
225 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Visa from India

Hi, We are planning a visit to Moscw and St Petersburg. But visa seems to be a stumbling block.Original documents couriered from Russia is needed.Fax or online printouts are not acceptable.The travel agent we normally use for visa and tickets is not confident of getting us a Russian visa. Any advice on this would be appreciated .Thank you..Kumar

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa from India

If you search these forums for "visa india" you will find at least a dozen accounts of Indians who have visited Russia very recently. You can PM them and ask how they got their visas.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa from India

Its true you will need to get your visa support directly from the hotels you've booked accommodation with, purchasing support documents from an online agency isn't an option.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa from India

Russian visas are a problem. I would have to visit a consulate personally and submit the documents you mention, even though I've lived in Russia for a few years and prior to that, got a passport booklet worth of Russian visas !

I have managed to rush things a bit (business visas), once getting a visa on a non working day and another time, on the same day as the consulate visit, my asking nicely, in Russian !

I've actually just dropped a planned tour of the Baltics and Scandinavia because of the disproportionate time involved for a Russian visa (for just 2 days in St. Petersburg). I would have liked to visit again, simply to catch up with old friends.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa from India

> I've actually just dropped a planned tour of the Baltics and Scandinavia because of the disproportionate time involved for a Russian visa (for just 2 days in St. Petersburg)

Well, you can visit St. Pete on a cruise with no visa, but you'll have to book some tour and then somehow arrange that the tour doesn't interfere with your real plans ;) Shouldn't be a problem for someone who speaks Russian and knows the ins and outs.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa from India

Russia must lose million's of $ every year due to their visa rules? AIM.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa from India

The US must lose billions of dollars every month because of their visa rules ;)

Bangalore
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa from India

Well put Marassa. As a matter of principle, I refuse to visit the US because of its visa rules. While a Russian visa may take time, I've never been rejected, or asked to submit more info/documents (or know anyone who has).

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa from India

In all fairness a lot of these visa rules such as the supplying of additional documents is because certain nationalities are considered high risk of being illegal immigrants.

I don't even need a visa to go to the US and although I need one for Russia, its just a case of parting with some cash.

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa from India

In answer to the question asked....

Book flights & shortlist your hotels. If you are staying in a 5* chain hotel they will provide you with an invitation letter / travel voucher. If you are booking tours from a big tour agency in Russia, they too will provide you the same...all usually free (maybe just courier charge)

Incase your hotel is not a higher-end or chain hotel, etc...then ask your hotel travel desk to get you the travel voucher from some registered agency. they will charge you for the letter/voucher (approx.700-900 Ru per person) and then again charge you for sending the original by courier (around Ru1000). in case of hostels...etc...i don't think you'll get much help. what is imp is that you select a hotel that gives you a voucher (charged or free whatever maybe the case)

With all your docs ready...the process is just like getting a schengen visa (with just the addition of this travel/invitation voucher)...submit it with the filled in online visa form....all tickets, hotel bookings...done!

jaipur
Level Contributor
225 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa from India

Thank you for the detailed reply.Will make an attempt.If it does not work out planning to go to Italy.Schengen visa is much easier to get.