We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

foodstuffs

Pune, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
foodstuffs

"Finding a grocery store in central Moscow was impossible (except for a few very pricey “gourmet” options)" - DrDebi (thank you btw for the very interesting reports). Is it really impossible. i am going to stay in an apartment and cook so will need to buy provisions as well as vegetables and fruit. how far afield will i have to go from tverskaya to get these things?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: foodstuffs

Not terribly far - the "ABC of taste" Azbuka vkusa is showing on 2 Tverskaya Yamskaya (which run parallel to tverskaya = next street down. Is not cheap though

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: foodstuffs

Knowing where exactly in Tverskaya you will be staying would help: the street is rather long.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: foodstuffs

1. thank you for the name will look out for it!

2.apparently we stay somewhere near pushkinskaya square (?)

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: foodstuffs

On address...note that there are a number of Tverskaya-Yamskaya's...all as Vladchan indicates, running parallel to the "main" one (a.k.a. "First Tverskaya-Ymskaya...a continuation of Tverskaya - the main drag - after one gets beyond the "Garden Ring". So, here the use of 2 I assume means "2nd Tverskaya-Yamskaya...there are also 3rd and 4th, but since the response above says "1 street over", then must mean 2nd)...

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: foodstuffs

I think I know where Pushkinskaya square is and shops to buy food and provisions are thin on the ground, but the usual Macdonalds and Subways are close by though.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: foodstuffs

And how could I forget Eliseev's food palace, which is a landmark in its own right

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298484-d5…

Pune, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: foodstuffs

4. wow that sounds complicated. hope i'll be able to navigate my way round all those yamskayas!

5. hmm i was afraid of that. i guess i could get a salad from the mcDs and subWs ...

6. Yep, i know Eliseev is nearby but that might be too grand. still i could go there as part of my sightseeing :)

""

on a slightly disconnected note, today's google doodle is dedicated to faberge!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: foodstuffs

For sure go to Eliseevski...yes, prices high, but a visual feast for the eyes...and pretty sure you can get most anything you want (for a price)...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: foodstuffs

Eliseevski is expensive, but not prohibitively so - if all you need is a little of simple stuff it might make sense to buy there rather than kill half a day trying to save a couple of bucks.

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: foodstuffs

A good supermarket near Pushkin Square. (Большая Бронная 11)

https://maps.google.ru/maps?q=Moscow,+Bol'shaya+Bronnaya+ulitsa+11&hl=ru&ie=UTF8&sll=55.76199,37.599142&sspn=0.009767,0.01929&t=h&hnear=%D0%91%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%88%D0%B0%D1%8F+%D0%91%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F+%D1%83%D0%BB.,+11,+%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0&z=16