We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

Wales
Level Contributor
95 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can help, we are travelling to the above next month and stopping at HOTEL RENAISSANCE MOSCOW MONARCH CENTRE and the HOTEL SOKOS OLYMPIC GARDEN ST PETERSBURG.

We have been offered an evening meal price in both hotels of £200 per person, staying 5 nights in Moscow and four in St Petersburg?

Would anyone recommend this or would it be more advisable to look for restaurants ourselves?

It is more out of convenience than anything else?

Many thanks

Grahlind

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

Doesn't sound unreasonable, but it depends on what's included in this evening meal. You could eat out and pay a little less, but equally you could pay a lot more.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

I am admittedly a "frugal" diner who does not drink, but still, are you saying US equivalent of $250 PER PERSON? Per NIGHT?

Sorry. no way. This would have to include all the caviar you can eat, and a whole lot of "alcohol"...That's a lot of money for "convenience. You can easily do better.

The small issue in Moscow is your hotel is a bit of the beaten path (although I think the hotel offers shuttles to the nearest Metro.

If I were you, I would still get out and find someplace else to eat...head down Tvserskoi towards Red Square, you will find loads (including hanging a right at Kamergerski Lane about 1 block before the end of Tverskoi...

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

Ebert,

I read it as 250£ per person for 9 nights or about 40 dollars a meal. It's not bad if we are talking entree, main, and dessert. I stayed at the monarch and enjoyed the modern conveniences. The room I had was huge, slightly bigger than others I think because it was at the angle of the building ( like in a wide V)

The foods were good and well presented. We had breakfast included and it was a huge spread of all imaginable. The problem is that it limits your dinning experience. If you are ok with that and looking for convenience then it's not bad. I don't know about the other hotel in st Pete.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

Amatrip...thanks for pointing out the nights thing...so, yes $40/meal makes sense...

Just out of curiosity, and do a PM if you like, would appreciate any further "details" you might have. I stay at Marriott's all the time using points, and lately my favorite - Courtyard - more for location- has gotten a bit "silly" with the (high) points level required (eats into my available points pretty bad!)...I have considered the Monarch as it is very low points (15000/night), but for me (I like to go off hiking around the city center a lot without having to get to Metro, etc), seems a bit too far out...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

I wonder if there is a hotel in Moscow with the word "centre" in its name that is actually centrally located? The two that come to mind (Monarch Centre and Novotel Centre) are not central by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited: 16 June 2012, 12:26
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

$40.00 per meal is not to bad if it includes the entire spread as stated above. I like to walk the streets looking for a new place to eat for most meals. Most will have their menu posted on the front window or door so you can see what they offer, and the price. I have had some of the best food in my life doing so. AIM.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

Ebert

I will give more details in awhile, still traveling right now. Bottom line is that it's a trade off :)

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

Hi Ebert

Still tooling around in sourhern France but got a few minutes spare ( I know, don't hate me but this trip was planned a year ago). The Moscow trip was husbands business related travel. He was a guest speaker at a convention. So one of the organizers told us that the only real option for meeting site was Renaissance Monarche because of high number of attendees. He would have liked to have a choice closer to red square. (maybe the new Moscow hotel for next year, is it big enough I wonder?)

If I were a leisure tourist I would not have chosen Renaissance Monarch for a first time visit It was a full 10 minute uninspired walk to the closest metro, and I am not sure I saw a shuttle service there from/to metro. We didn't inquire, taxi was readily available for about 500 rubles to center. The area is rather industrial in appearance, really no green places to walk ...unless you want to walk with the horses in the Hippodrome ;-)

But Renaissance Monarche is a very comfortable place. It can be a Marriott in any western city. Our room big, clean, good bedding. The fitness center and swimming pool, hot tub, steam baths were great. The morning buffet breakfast was full of cheeses, cold cuts, smoked fish, hot stuff like two three kinds of eggs, sausages, potatoes, begs, cereals etc... You know the type. We had a couple of dinners there and they were decent, not great. if you have access to 16th floor the club lounge (and lobby) has free wifi. It also offers light food items at breakfast, lunch, dinner.

The service couldn't be faulted. Everyone was helpful. There are two ATM machines in lobby and even a bank teller. I was able to exchange USD to rubles with her. I didn't think the rate was bad. Official rate on a day was 32.2 and she offered me 31.86 I remember.

I did not mind the location because we ended up having a lot of help with organized tours done by meeting people. While my husband was in meeting son and I the Very Insignificant People still benefited from being part of the meeting. There were tours set up for us ! I know, I feel I like cheated because it was all too easy;)). It would have been more difficult to do things from this location on my own for sure.

But since you know the city well maybe a few nights here would not be as big of a hassle. Maybe you could split your time here and there, just to know ?

Hope that helps,

Wales
Level Contributor
95 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

Hi everyone and thank you for all the responses!!

Apologies for not replying sooner, we have just returned from a short break in Brno, Czech Republic, lovely little city and prices to die for, really cheap. Large beer and a glass of wine £1.50, for the both!!

The price as Amatrip anticipated was for £200 for the nine nights, not per night, we are not millionaires? Lol

We are really unsure what to do? As American in m.... suggests we, (wife and brother and sister in law) love to walk around and find restaurants, but have been told it can be very expensive?

Also, as I said in the initial question, it would free up time if we are not looking for restaurants we can then prolong our sightseeing, and with only nine days split between the two cities, it might make sense to eat at the hotels, if the restaurants are good?

Has anyone else done a similar thing?

Again, we are really grateful for the answers, many thanks.....

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg restaurants

I will admit to a bias even here at home where I really try to resist eating at hotel if for no other reason than to force myself to "expand my horizons"...I think you would do fine finding a place if you head down Tverskaya - maybe catch Metro in closer to the center. There are some nice places right Tverskaya proper, and then a bunch of places off to the left on Kamergerski Lane off to your left as you head south, and about 1 block up from where Tverskaya dead ends close to Red Square.

You might pay the same amount at the end, but at least you would have adventure!