We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Old Saybrook...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

10 day trip with 8 full days in Russia. Do we just do Moscow and St Petersburg so we can see it without rushing? Or do I squeeze in another stop? Read all types of web sites and forums, but still confused. Thanks in advance.May 2013 travel.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

I would strongly advise you plan at least 3-4 days in each Moscow and St. Petersburg - there are folks that will argue for more in each city.

Further, I would consider using overnight train between Moscow and St. Petersburg - IF you can sleep on traIns. That is, do a full day's sightseeing, hop on train around midnight, and arrive in St. Petersburg early the next day. If you fly out of Moscow, you could use same overnight or maybe use Express train t return. Ideally, if you can fly into Moscow and out of St. Petersburg (or vice versa), would make this less hectic...

So, that might then leave you with a day or two. Here, you might want to consIder some "day trips" to some of the Golden Ring cities. The usual suspects here are Vladimir and Suzdal. This gets tricky, as while both great places to take in, and are right next to one another, to see both typically involves an overnight stay. Alternatives would be to either just see Vladimir - head out in the a.m, spend the day, return in the evening. Or, either Sergiev Posad or Yaroslavl are also reasonable "day trips".

Stay tuned as am sure others will pile on (in a good way!)

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
964 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

2 great cities Awesome amount to see and do. Doing day trips as well means that these destinations are "underdone".

Choices of transport and accommodation will help minimise downtime.

"Open jaw" ticket is best but imagine that you are flying in/out of Moscow. If so, fly directly on to St P from airport (Moscow).

Probably best to find a hotel vicinity Nevsky Prospekt, central St P, an easy distance to major attractions and also Moskovsky Station (to travel to Moscow)

Overnight train OR Sapsan train (3.5 hours) – 12 each day, arrives in downtown Moscow.

From Moscow, back to airport by the Aeroexpress (train) for flight home.

Choice of hotel in Moscow can help you maximise time too.

(Note: there are 3 Aeroexpress, leaving from different stations for 3 different airports.

DCtheKiwi

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,780 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

> imagine that you are flying in/out of Moscow. If so, fly directly on to St P from airport (Moscow).

Very good advice, just make sure you fly out of the same airport you're flying into, otherwise makes no sense!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
964 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

Agreed

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

If you don't have tickets yet? I would fly into one city, take a night train (saves one night in hotel), and fly out the other city. This saves one trip back to start city, and gives you more time. Our next trip will be to St P, train to Moscow, and then return to USA from there. Only a suggestion. AIM.

Old Saybrook...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

Many many thanks.. I really appreciate it and all your time.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

I strongly suggest you to split the 8 days between Moscow and SP. There's a lot to see in both cities and you can take day-tours for cities nearby (Golden Ring in Moscow, Peterhof in SP) if you feel you had enough of the main city.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

Re fly directly on to St. Petersburg, my only caution is while yes this offers some airport efficiency, I for one would not want to add even this small amount of additional time to what I assume would be an already long, somewhat grueling trip.

That is, my original open-jaw suggestion...fly into one city or the other, spend your 3-4 days there, take overnight train at the end to make the most use of time (again, IF you can sleep ok on train), then spend the rest of your trip in whichever ends up being the final city, and fly home from there...

9. Re: If 8 days in Russia, how to divide/plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 10:18