We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting food in Moscow

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Getting food in Moscow

I read in a recent trip report that food can be a problem in moscow with language and price.

I don't want to be snacking on biscuits or muesli bars, so any tips that can be offered for a non Russian speaking tourists. Are there any popular places with good food at decent prices.

Are there any cafes around where I can pick up a quick bite with english menu?

Spasibo Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
PrimeraRus
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Russia with Love
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting food in Moscow

Suggest also doing a quick query here...some of favorite ones with "authentic" Russian cuisine (well, relatively so anyway!).

Moo-Moo - cafeteria style, average quality...while no English, one can see and point to most stuff...pretty good prices since cafeteria. Quite a few of these conveniently located. Rustic, Russian-country log cabin decor. Easy to spot as they have pic of a cow on their sign.

Yolki-Palki - sit down, a bit higher priced, higher quality, salad bar. Forget if menu is in English, but it does have pics of most stuff as I recall...

Teremok...a fast food type place, lower prices, specialize in blini, which can be either meal-like with non-sweet fillings, or dessert like. Also, all over...some also have borsch and pelmeni, Russian-style "ravioli" served with sour cream and vinegar (optional!).

Edited: 14 August 2012, 13:52
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting food in Moscow

Two other things...yes, there are bunches of non-Russian cuisine places...will leave to others to comment on as I try to be more native...

Then, another option is some local coffee house type places...one called Coffee House (clever, eh? heck, in Russian, looks a bit more exotic!). Another is Shokoladnitsa (yup, from word chocolate). NOT cheap per se (don't count on coffee anywhere being cheap), but the do have simpler, lighter fares (salads, wraps, etc)...also, all over...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting food in Moscow

Ditto Starbucks, Costa Coffee...

Yaposha is a Japanese food chain which also offers other food choices... You won't be starved for food believe me

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting food in Moscow

When I went I did have some trouble finding places with English menu too, if you want to stick to the cheaper stuff.

I ended up eating at Moo Moo most of the time. You just point and choose what you want to eat, and prices were reasonable.

I tried Teremok once. It's also quite decently priced and good, except they don't have an English menu on their display. I went on a busy day, and had to line up for quite some time to get to the counter. That's when I found out they had an English menu if you ask for one at the counter. Then I felt quite bad holding up the line trying to read the menu quickly and ordering. But then the server didn't really speak much English (not that I expected him to), so I just ended up ordering something he knew the words to out of all the options.

i tried Planet Sushi once too because I was tired of Moo Moo. Moscow seems to have lots of sushi chains. No English menu, but their menu had lots of pictures and I knew my sushi so I just ended up pointing at the pictures.

I have to admit food was one of the most intimidating experience for me in Russia. For me, it's the one area where I find not knowing Russian was the biggest barrier. I was going for cheap eats so a lot of the restaurant suggestions on TA weren't really for me.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Russia
Russia
Europe
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting food in Moscow

Yes MOO MOO has pictures on wall behind counter with prices just like a KFC. Can't get more easy than that. Good food at good prices for Moscow. Look for a sign with a cow on it. AIM.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting food in Moscow

I don't think Moo Moo has pictures...the food is in buffet style line...I think you must be thinking of some other fast food place

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,304 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting food in Moscow

http://il-patio.rosinter.com/?city=6144 There are several of these.

Most of these chain restaurants will be tourist friendly, fairly priced, and good IMO. http://www.rosinter.com/

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting food in Moscow

thanks all, I'll note it down.

Is the Coffee House you mentioned actually called named in english? I may walk pass and not know it if its in Russian

Edited: 16 August 2012, 12:54
NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting food in Moscow

No, but it looks a bit like "Kofe Xayz" - once you find one, you'll notice them everywhere.

КОФЕ ХАУЗ

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting food in Moscow

Great Thanks :)