We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging rubles back into the english pound?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
96 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
exchanging rubles back into the english pound?

I have a few thousand rubels left from my holiday... just looked online... and back in england they willl only give me 56 rubles to the pound... has anyone got experience of exchanging rubles back into english pounds in st petersburg or moscow.... do they change commision

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchanging rubles back into the english pound?

You can save a couple of pounds if you shop around:

cash.rbc.ru/…

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchanging rubles back into the english pound?

The problem is actual availiability of pounds in the banks, as it is not the most populac currency here.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchanging rubles back into the english pound?

Admitting I am VERY thrifty myself, as evidenced by my constant advice to use ATMs not FX booths, possibly might be overthinking this? You say several thousand rubles...this is (sorry for using $ here!) maybe $100, right?

As such, you may be talking about spending a lot of time to save maybe the equivalent of $10 or so. Actually recalling a post re rates for getting rubes, I think we came up with best in Russia around 50...so, a "loss" of 6 rubles on the 50...

I ony say that because while saying thousands of rubles sounds like a whole lot, it is really is not that much...

Edited: 11 October 2012, 13:11
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchanging rubles back into the english pound?

I exchange any left over R at the airport just before my flight leaves. But that is US dollars. I have no idea if they have pounds? Have your hotel front desk call the airport and ask? It couldn't hurt. AIM.

5. Re: exchanging rubles back into the english pound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 15:19