We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
13 posts
Save Topic
No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

I am landing in Terminal D and have a 17 hour layover. I will be flying out of Terminal F 17 hours later.

I would like to leave D get on the train go into moscow and stay in a hotel over night and return to F in the morning and continue my flight to China. Is this possible?

TYIA!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

Depends which passport you're travelling on. Some countries have visa-free travel arrangements with Russia, but the USA isn't one of them - so if you're travelling on a US passport, you will need a visa to leave the airport.

This is via Sheremetyevo airport, yes? If you decide to stay put at the airport, you won't need a transit visa to stay at SVO for less than 24 hours.

www.svo.aero/en/transit/int-int/

You might find the info in these threads useful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298484-i718-k5898…

tripadvisor.com/…44124092

florida
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

Wow thank you for the fast reply! I am leaving in 6 days so this is very time sensitive.

Yes I am from the USA flying to China.

Yes this is Sheremetyevo airport.

There is no time to get a visa before I leave as they are over $700.00 on a rush. Can I buy this visa at the airport ?

Edited: 16 January 2013, 22:16
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,952 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

I thnk this is easy assuming you are from US...no way, no how can you go freely into Moscow without a visa...sorry!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

>>Can I buy this visa at the airport ?<<

You can get a transit visa at the airport (details in the SVO airport link that I provided above), but *only* if there are more than 24 hours between your connecting flights - so in your case, I'm afraid not!

I'd be looking at the staying at the airport vs checking into the Novotel options if I were you...

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,952 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

I think this would then be a transit visa, and some have indicated here one MIGHT be able to get this at the airport...I personally would not count on this. But do read further here a TA for starters...or, I might suggest asking a reputable visa agency (yes, the same one maybe you won't be paying huge bucks to!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,952 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

Here is the link about the transit visa, and it does appear to only relate to stay overs of 24 hours or more.

http://www.svo.aero/en/transit/int-int/

I THINK your ask here is NOT about hopping out of airport to hotel, but to see the city a bit, and to me, this seems questionable.

florida
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

Thank you for the links yes I did read that about the 24 hour requirement.

I did a lot of research last night on this and thought I had it all worked out. The reason I am still asking is most of the forums visa questions pertained to people carrying baggage or wanting to know if this applied while staying in the airport.

I did come across others who said you can just get on the train and go right into Moscow and take the train back to the airport and get into terminal F.

I have a great room reserved for $70.00 USD a night on Petrovka only 10 minutes walk from Red Square. Looks like I will not be able to use it.

Seems like such a waste to be there and not see the city :(

florida
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

I tried several Visa Agencies online and the all want several hundred dollars to do this. Does anyone know how much the 24 hour visa is? Maybe I can change my flight to leave the following day

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

>>I did come across others who said you can just get on the train and go right into Moscow and take the train back to the airport and get into terminal F.<<

Perhaps they were travelling on different passports, ie not US? You really will need a visa to leave the airport - so if you don't have one, I'm afraid that the room (Petrovka Loft, by any chance?) will need to be cancelled. You won't be able to get through immigration without a visa.

At least you know now and can factor in some more time to get a visa (and stay in Moscow!) when next you're passing through.

florida
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: No Baggage,17 hour layover, can I go into Moscow w no visa?

Yes it is Petrovka Loft! seems like a great place. I will have to see if I can change to leave a day later, I would really like to stay more than 24 hours. I would like to know how much the transit visa at the airport is first before I change it though. Anyone know?