We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russian visa for US Citizen

Helena, AL
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Russian visa for US Citizen

I have a day or two layover at SVO & would like to tour Moscow in May, any idea re cost, time etc?

Moscow Free Tour
Walking Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Moscow Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Mosstreets
Sightseeing Tours
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Russian visa for US Citizen

First thing is you will need a visa...and this will run you over $200 including various expenses (please see To Questions top right of this page for this and other key, critical information.

Beyond this initial consideration, this is really not much time...but if once in a lifetime, and you simply can't swing another 1-2-3 days, then so be it.

I would strongly suggest you browse the "things to do" list on this page (top banner) as without knowing your specific interests, hard to begin to advise what you should see beyond what you likely already know...i.e. Red Square, Kremlin, etc. This list is quite extensive, and includes quite a few "esoteric" things and overall good impressions from average tourists.,.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Russian visa for US Citizen

It doesn't have to be "once in a lifetime" -- if you'd expect to have an opportunity to come back within 3 years, the visas now available for US citizens are good for that long.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Russian visa for US Citizen

My reference to once in a lifetime was not to suggest one could not get a 3 year visa...only that IF as stated this was going to be once in a lifetime, then I personally would find a way to extend the stopover a bit, especially if one has to fork out over $200 anyway.

One thing to consider for the 3 year visa is the visa agency I use warned that in addition to taking a bit longer to process, they have seen these get a lot more scrutiny, and if initially rejected, in re-applying, one has to pay the $30 ILS fee all over again. My only point being while yes it is nice to say, "hey, I can pop over to Russia freely any time over 3 year period", each person should carefully consider whether this makes sense. I also say this because now the fee difference between 1 time, 30 days is only $20...down from $40...I suspect soon they will totally drop the one-time option as the whole process is complex enough without adding the confusion of having to choose.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 12:54
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Russian visa for US Citizen

I understand and meant no offense. I was just anticipating that the OP might read response #1 and think "$200 for access to one day's visit? Not worth it," and in response that thought, pointing out that the $200 might prove useful over multiple visits.

Helena, AL
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Russian visa for US Citizen

Thank you, very helpful.

6. Re: Russian visa for US Citizen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:16