We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the what?

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What the what?

ntdtv.org/en/news/world/europe/2013-02-02/my…

Very cool.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What the what?

Burma!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What the what?

Bad timing - it's raining :(

Moscow
Level Contributor
491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What the what?

I have an idea.

Let's turn this thread into a collection of links to printed and video stories from the media around the world about Moscow and Russia, which are enlightening, useful or just funny, and interesting enough perhaps to prompt new ideas to travelers to this country.

I come across at least a couple every day.

Here's one.

What started with this - www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514816

….. has now developed into a hostel in downtown Moscow near Byelorusskaya Railway Station and Tverskaya Street - dailymail.co.uk/news/…

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOjD5vhGt_g

Sidebars - latimes.com/business/…970455.story themoscownews.com/local/…191189370.html

Another contribution is a Hindu's article from last year on the "safety in Moscow" subject which is popular on this forum -

indrus.in/articles/2012/05/31/moscow_diaries…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What the what?

Interesting news site. AIM.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What the what?

Sorry to hear penguins were short lived. Half expected people to dress them up in hockey gears )

Thanks kepi for the informative news clip about the sleep boxes at Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport. I could not find any reviews from someone who actually slept in one yet. So like do you swipe a credit card somewhere on the door to open it ? Can we get like 10 Chinese in one?), 15 USD hourly is pretty economical.

My smoke signal says that soon Russia will ban smoking in public places FYI.

ntdtv.org/en/news/world/europe/2013-01-25/ru…

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What the what?

Note I recently saw these were made available at/near Belorusski Station...but rates were not by the hour that I saw...more by the day - and around $90 or so...

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What the what?

One other thing re: posts...even if one were to post links to fun stuff, by using titles which do not have any specific subject, these cannot be readily searched...and as many folks know, several of us here strongly advise people coming here for info. to a least try a simple query at TA...

I only say this because clearly "what the what" would not really help anyone find what might otherwise by helpful information...just a suggestion...

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What the what?

What the what ....

Someone did not care for my irreverent and irrelevant post? That's the first!

(sniff)

Eb, you are right, 'tis very silly. But I just thought the video was cute (Penguins and Kids are always cute) and would break the (relevant but nonstop and ever boring) Q & A's about visas and tour guides, et cetera . It was meant as a fleeting moment of entertainment.

On the other hand, most of the stuff that kepi posted should be gathered and filed somewhere in a sticky note for posterity, you agree? :-) That guy has a lot of good rubbish in his head.

Anyway, I have a web link to something recent in Moscow this winter. I just don't know if you should open it. You may think it's great, or you may not like it at all. Hmm...

englishrussia.com/2013/…more-120212

PS. btw, have you tried googling "what the what Russia"?))

Moscow
Level Contributor
491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What the what?

Hi, everyone,

What I was thinking of was just some chitchat to enliven the occasionally sluggish forum and to give those of us who visit here more or less regularly at least something to read or watch.

There simply are many articles or videos that do not perhaps merit a separate thread, but are sheer fun and may also encourage people to explore some aspects of Moscow that they did not even have any idea about previously.

Ebertsj is certainly right when saying that whenever there is a link to something that is not only entertaining, but also potentially useful, there ought to be a "findable" phrase accompanying it.

I definitely should have added something like "sleepbox hotel", "capsule hotel" or "modular room hotel" to my earlier posting, and so I am now standing corrected. ) Anyone interested in this kind of lodging will now be able to find this thread.

Meanwhile, I will continue with some irrelevant "atmospheric" stuff.

Something that tells volumes about the whimsical weather in Moscow nowadays: these pictures were taken from my kitchen window on the same day on which Marassa complained a few postings earlier: "Bad timing - it's raining". s16.radikal.ru/i190/1302/a1/33c1fd59a35d.jpg

s003.radikal.ru/i201/1302/35/b813456dee84.jpg

They say it's the snowiest winter here in 100 years and that is how it looks in an eyewitness account - http://ria.ru/tv_eco/20130205/921261627.html

I will continue with some "trip report" videos. The picture quality may not be the best, but they are fine in terms of being authentic, unabashedly personal, and charismatic.

Like this one - www.youtube.com/watch…

Or these ones about -

a visit to a Jolki-Palki chain restaurant (good reviews on TA) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZtFYxH_tVE

a night train trip from St. Pete to Moscow www.youtube.com/watch…

a walk all along Tverskaya - www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

More videos from the author of those clips to choose from (Moscow metro, WWII museum, etc.) - www.youtube.com/playlist…

Enjoy!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What the what?

OTOH, here's hoping my Python (Monty) reference bites no lost Bamar....

Edited: 06 February 2013, 05:22