We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

I write this because I've never had SUCH a hard time finding what is presumably legitimate Bolshoi main stage tickets. I won't know til the day of the show whether my tickets are indeed legitimate but want to share what I found out researching thus far because not many ppl have detailed their buying process with exact costs etc...

Husband and I are visiting Moscow for a few days in April en route to some other destinations, and figured we should check out ballet at the Bolshoi.

The prevailing advice is "buy at box office" ...but if you've tried you'll know it's quite impossible for the popular ones..on popular days..

We started looking for tickets in january when the tickets hadn't been released yet and kept checking back on the official website however either we missed it or they all sold out, Lord only knows. We were attempting to buy Ivan the terrible tickets for april 20 saturday.

I e-mailed the address on official website and they gave me a very helpful response of :"you can buy tickets in cash on the day of the show" ....mm..seriously..? - -;

Some ppl have said try buying it from touts the day of the show. However really didn't want to take that risk and get vertigo seats.

So then started scouring the web.

Obviously operaandballet.com (something like that) is the one that everyone seems to mention and heavily sponsored on google.

But prices seemed ludicrous. I get that tickets are hard to come by, but I don't plan on buying overpriced tickets just because it's "convenient".

To be specific our budget: 10,000 RUB per person (350 usd)

I e-mailed our hotel concierge (hyatt) and while they were fabulous at getting back to me, they quoted me 10,000 RUB (350 usd) per ticket for 2nd circle balcony (which is 3rd floor) (plus i would have to pay 5% for credit card use)

This was much better than most websites which were quoting about 450 usd for same level seats.

I looked up more websites and boxoffice.bolshoi.org seemed to be offering better prices...but their website is unlike other websites in that you have to put in your contact and they respond back to you.

I put in my info and never heard back. a week later I tried again. This time I got an email saying they have 1st circle balcony seats row 1 for 10,000 RUB (350usd) and that if satisfied I would have 3 days to purchase through a link where credit card info is entered.

This price included delivery to anywhere in moscow and service charge and credit card use charge.

I started PMing people on tripadvisor who had been to bolshoi recently and seem to be situated in Moscow and couple people had used e-bilet.ru. Turns out boxoffice.bolshoi.org is same company because same skype.

I want to mention I also called the office but the lady that picked up spoke no english whatsoever and I no russian so after some awkward "english?" "nyet" ..repeated few times.. I hung up : (

However Marina who appears to be the manager there responded to my e-mailed questions within a few days (yes not the fastest turn around, but considering the time difference, not bad). Her english is sufficient in written form.

At the moment they have confirmed my payment and have told me my tickets will be delivered to the Hyatt the day before the show.

So for those of you wondering whether boxoffice.bolshoi.org is a legitimate website.. i think so?

Will post whether we successfully received our tickets when we return... : P

80 replies to this topic
NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

by the way, 1st circle row 1 seats are going for approximately 550 USD on other websites...

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

Thanks for adding your experience to this mix, and here's hoping you will have a positive experience to report back.

Moscow
Level Contributor
490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

Why not try the theater's official website? http://bolshoi.ru/en/visit/.

I am not much of a theater goer, but tried-and-tested ticketing sites that are used by my daughter include, for example, parter.ru.

I looked up their offers, for example, for Romeo and Juliet in May: the circle and the stalls go for RUR 9,360-10,400 - parter.ru/en/…performance.html

There are also other websites of this kind, which are popular with Muscovites, but not being a regular user, I will leave the subject to be covered by more knowledgeable others.

NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

...perhaps I wasn't clear, but we tried the official website very much in advance, in fact before even went on sale..however must have sold out incredibly fast, because we saw tickets go on sale for April 15 shows.. Then 16..then 18 etc etc.. And then next time we checked 20 th show must have been released and quickly sold out, bc now selling may shows are on sale. Some shows and some dates just sell out so quickly.. (We are going to a Saturday night show).

But definitely were it a weekday show I think ppl will have a great chance if planning in advance.

But keep in mind to register on the website or won't be able to pick the buy tickets option.

Moscow
Level Contributor
490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

From what I get from explanations on the Russian-language pages of the official website, they indeed fix particular advance dates for selling tickets to particular performances.

For example, today would be the day to purchase tickets for the opera Boris Godunov on May 7 or 8.

On February 12, they will sell tickets for three days of Romeo and Juliet.

The next day of sales will only be on February 19.

However, they also invite prior requests to be sent to their box-office by e-mail - but no more than 15 days before the advance-sales date for the chosen show.

Yet the odds are, of course, long against your bid being granted: there are too many privileged categories of buyers (such as war veterans).

And there is yet another hitch. Even if you're lucky enough to be chosen as a prospective buyer, you will have to actually turn up at the box-office in person on the advance-sales date (i.e. 30 days beforehand) to collect the tickets.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

^^^^

Sorry, but I have to laugh...This sounds very much the Russian way, or my old communist regime, or the making of a British comedy.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

Yes, keep us posted. AIM.

Matosinhos, Porto...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

hi!

so any news about how your experience with boxoffice.bolshoi.org turned out?

I'm thinking to buy tickets from them, because I will visit moscow in a few weeks.

Your reply would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

Hi, we'll as of now they said my tickets will be delivered the day before the show to my hotel. I won't be in Moscow until April 20 so won't be able to post about the conclusion til then. But my research this far it does seem like a legitimate (and probably best in price) option besides getting from boxoffice website.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org

Thought I would share my experience.

When I first looked yesterday at the official Bolshoi site, all the tickets were sold out for May 10. So yesterday I sent a request to boxoffice.bolshoi.org via their website form.

Today (18 hours later) I received an offer for 2 tickets from boxoffice.bolshoi.org: 3rd balcony, 1st row - 6,000 rubles each (12,000 total). I paid online with a credit card and received confirmation online immediately.

Just to check, I looked back at the official Bolshoi site and noticed that there were some seats available! Although these were one in front of the other, they were much better seats and cheaper overall:

Grand tier boxes left side Box 10 Place 1 - 7,200 rubles ; Grand tier boxes left side Box 10 Place 2 - 3,600 rubles (10,800 total).

I gobbled these up ASAP and crossed my fingers that I would be able to cancel my boxoffice.bolshoi.org tickets. I requested to cancel by email and they told me they would honor this, although I would have to cancel the charge myself with the card company.

Overall, I got lucky this time…. But goes to show you, keep checking the official Bolshoi site! These tickets just “appeared” out of nowhere.

And while I can’t say whether the boxoffice.bolshoi.org tickets were authentic or not, they were prompt communicators and flexible with (immediate) cancellation.

Reply to: My experience buying Bolshoi tickets: boxoffice.bolshoi.org
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted