We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
Airbnb

Has anyone used airbnb for an apartment in Moscow or St Petersburg.If so, how did you find the experience. Do you think it's a reliable and reputable way to find accommodation- it's certainly cheaper than hotels.

93 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb

I only used airbnb to rent a studio in New York City - very positive experience. One thing to take into consideration is that airbnb charges a substantial commission for their services, so their safety and reliability don't come free.

Poland
Level Contributor
207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb

I'd also suggest you read the reviews people write about the apartments in question. We are also looking for and, indeed, about to rent an apartment in Moscow through airbnb.

As an online service, it is very reliable but obviously your personal experience depends on the person you are dealing with , who owns the accommodation you will be using.

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb

There also seems to be a Russian pastiche of airbnb called travelrent: anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.travelrent.com/

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
158 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb

I used airbnb for rental the apartment in St pete & Moscow. It's definitely OK! no problem at all...

Bloemfontein, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb

I've used AIrbnb a few times in Europe and US. Always have had good experiences. I geuss I don't mind paying their fees if it means my stay is secure. I do find Holiday rentals to be better value than hotels and usually make the vacation more enjoyable/authentic than hotels.

Not entirely sure about Moscow/St. P but as Piaczka says, it is a case by case basis. And if the owner has godo reviews then I geuss that is a good indicator

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airbnb

Can the owner of an airbnb apartment register your visa? My understanding is that you 1) obtain visa support (which you can do from waytorussia.net), 2) apply at an embassy for your visa and 3) upon arrival, need to register it with where you are staying.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airbnb

Nobody can register your VISA because this procedure doesn't exist. As for registering YOU with the Federal Migration Service, the apartment owner is not only able to do that but he is actually obliged to do it by the law.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
158 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb

i couldnt agree more with Marassa ;-)

Kandalaksha, Russia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airbnb

Tried to rent through them on behalf of my clients. Wrote to 6 landlords, 5 didn't respond, one was booked. Doubt I would ever bother again.

Dayton, Ohio
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Airbnb

I will Never Never Never use them again. The one apartment I rented was great but the customer service was so bad it was ridiculous.a rep named Kevin told me-while I was sitting in an apartment that I had rented through them that in order to rent again I had to upload a video. Yeah, I will do that On My kindle. They Left Me stranded. Never again.

Reply to: Airbnb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted