We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

Darwin
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

We are an Australian family holidaying in France for two months. Then we wish to travel to St Peters burg and take the trans siberian, stopping off on the way. We have been advised that we cant get a visa here in Paris as we are not residents, so need to airbag our passports to the Russian Embassy in Australia. We cant book our train tickets because the trip is a two months away, and I am struggling to work out how I get an invitation so I can post off our passports. Time is of the essence because we need to work out the Chinese visas next. We were trying to avoid an agent because the extra cost per person adds up when booking four people. Does anyone have any advice?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

Hi Aussie

Yes, you have to send back to Aus.

This article explains it….

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294459-s602/Russia:C…

Make sure that you understand the piece about registering your visa when in the country.

and here is one of the providers (one that I have used)….

http://www.waytorussia.net/

Good Luck.

DCtheKiwi

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

Who yold you that cant get a visa in Paris as you are not a resident? This is not what Russian Embassy's web site says. It actually says that you can get visa even if you are not a resident!

http://www.france.mid.ru/index_fr.html

http://www.vhs-france.com/

«QUELS SONT LES DOCUMENTS NÉCESSAIRES POUR LES RESSORTISSANTS DE L'AUSTRALIE, DES ÉTATS-UNIS, DE LA GRANDE-BRETAGNE, DU CANADA ET DE LA GÉORGIE?»

* Les ressortissants de ces pays doivent avant tout remplir le formulaire de demande de visa de deux pages.

* Les ressortissants des États-Unis et de la Grande-Bretagne qui ne bénéficient pas d'un titre de séjour en France peuvent demander un visa mais les délais d'examen de leur dossier seront longs.

* Les Canadiens n'ont pas besoin d'un titre de séjour en France.

* Pour les Géorgiens, l'examen des dossiers n'est possible que sur présentation d'un titre de séjour pour la France et les délais sont longs.

* Les Australiens qui sollicitent un visa d'affaires ou un visa à des fins sociales ou politiques doivent présenter un curriculum vitae détaillé (avec une traduction en russe !).

* Tous les citoyens des pays susmentionnés, en cas d'établissement d'un visa à entrées multiples, doivent présenter deux exemplaires du formulaire (le deuxième exemplaire pouvant être une photocopie).

Edited: 13 May 2013, 10:29
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

Reminder (to save Marassa the post)...there is no such thing as registering one's visa, and if you are staying in a hotel, as discussed many times here, it is not the tourist's responsibility or worry...

As for getting a visa thru a Consulate outside your home country, I believe this used to be while maybe possible, but a rather large exception. Now, it appears (not that i read French mind you!) that this is increasingly possible.

Darwin
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

I phone Express to Russia in both Australia and England, as well as a visa service here in Paris. The three all said we needed to send our passports to the Russian embassy in Australia.

Darwin
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

I have also just phoned the Russian Embassy here in Paris who have advised they will not issue a visa to a non French resident.

It looks like I'll need to express post our passports back to Australia.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

I would advise you call the Embassy directly, not Express to Russia (see links above). It is an official site of the Russian Embassy and my understanding that official information posted there differs from what Express to Russia says.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 13:38
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

<I have also just phoned the Russian Embassy here in Paris who have advised they will not issue a visa to a non French resident.>

I see. Thanks. This is good to know, but it is strange that on their web site they provided different information. May be outdated? Sorry then for confusion.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

Barefoot L

I read the links Vlad1969 advised above and it's correct you can apply for a visa in France. However instead of completing 1 application as you would have normally completed if you were back home in OZ you have to complete 2 instead and attach two photos etc.

The link says that you have to complete by hand 2 pages and submit along with 2 passport photos.

The easiest would be to book an appointment with VHS-France to discuss your case and complete your visa application on site. Please note that when booking an appointment it's only for 1 person, so if you are applying for 2 or more people a separate appointment is required for each person.

Good luck!

Pour les citoyens des États-Unis d’Amérique,de Australie, de Grande-Bretagne, du Canada et de Géorgie, il existe un autre formulaire : un formulaire de deux pages. Les citoyens des États-Unis d’Amérique, de Australie, de Grande-Bretagne et de Géorgie doivent présenter 2 exemplaires du formulaire remplis à la main (et par conséquent, 2 photographies).

"Les citoyens des États-Unis d’Amérique, de Australie, de Grande-Bretagne et de Géorgie doivent présenter 2 exemplaires du formulaire rempli sur le site: visa.kdmid.ru en russe ou en anglais (et par conséquent, 2 photographies)."

1. Chaque visiteur doit avoir son propre rendez-vous et indiquer précisément la question pour laquelle il s'adresse à l'agence choisie.

2. Un rendez-vous consiste en une prestation de service destinée à un seul client, pour l'examen d'un seul dossier pour une seule personne physique.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

Barefoot L,

I was busy reading the french website so didn't see your later comments and indeed it looks like the information are misleading then...

Btw It only took me 10 days to get my visa from the Consulate in Sydney - that's including from the time I posted to when I received my passports back.

10. Re: Obtaining visas when not in home country and no bookings yet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 07:17